Are we alone out here?

I've dropped out for a few days since my computer monitor frizzled out on me on Sunday right in the middle of playing an old game "Red Storm Rising" :-(.

Unfortunately all of my work is on that computer and I have no spare monitor. Looks like I'm going to be monitorless and hence acess-less until at least this weekend sometime frown.gif as well as being out a few hundred bucks because of this..

I have typed up some AARs from memory on my wife's laptop and I'm sending them to Pat now.. This is the first chance |I had to get online since Sunday and involved sneaking into an ex-employer of my wifes wink.gif

I guess I'll see you all again as soon as my monitor is fixed or I can find out its a hopeless case and get a new one.. I blame it all on Win 98s being able to change monitor settings without restarting.. I clicked on a VGA game, it changed to that setting and then blew.. Now whenever it's turned on I get a cool ticking sound from inside the monitor but nothing else wink.gif. Useful huh?

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Fionn,

one of my friends had a similar problem. What had happened for him was that the monitor had changed resolution to something that the computer couldnt handle (but his 3Dcard thought it could). He solved it by setting the resolution on his girlfriends computer (which could handle that specific resolution) to that of the monitor and plugged it in there. Then he changed it back to something his computer could handle and......IT WORKED AGAIN.

Maybe thats not your problem but if you havent tried it its worth a shot. Of course that means you need another computer but didnt your wife have a laptop?

Hope this helps

/Kristian

The previous poster is correct ... it is possible that your monitor is not in fact blown. It may be displaying a black screen as a sort of self defense measure.

If your monior is not blown, there is another way to recover from this that does not require a second computer.

Reboot your computer. Wait just a few seconds for your PC system bios and other non W98 startup stuff to load and then hold down the Control key. Holding down the control key while W98 boots is a signal to W98 that you have a problem and W98 will then start up with a minimum set of drivers and at a very basic/generic monitor setting (probably 640x400 and 256 colors).

The timing of begining to hold down the Control key is tricky. If you put it down too soon after rebooting then your non W98 items like system bios and the like may complain or not function properly. If you put it down too far into the W98 startup then you will miss the trigger point.

Have you tried restarting your system using the W98 startup floppy disk that you should have created when you first installed W98?

------------------

Best regards, Major H

majorh1@aol.com

The previous poster is correct ... it is possible that your monitor is not in fact blown. It may be displaying a black screen as a sort of self defense measure.

If your monior is not blown, there is another way to recover from this that does not require a second computer.

Reboot your computer. Wait just a few seconds for your PC system bios and other non W98 startup stuff to load and then hold down the Control key. Holding down the control key while W98 boots is a signal to W98 that you have a problem and W98 will then start up with a minimum set of drivers and at a very basic/generic monitor setting (probably 640x400 and 256 colors).

The timing of begining to hold down the Control key is tricky. If you put it down too soon after rebooting then your non W98 items like system bios and the like may complain or not function properly. If you put it down too far into the W98 startup then you will miss the trigger point.

Have you tried restarting your system using the W98 startup floppy disk that you should have created when you first installed W98?

------------------

Best regards, Major H

majorh1@aol.com

Guest Big Time Software

At least both work as advertised smile.gif Right now Charles is tearing his hair out because DirectX doesn't...

Steve