Please convince me of something...

No reason to feel bad setting the German AFVs up in ambush positions. Just tell yourself that an officer from another unit in the battalion just radioed in a report on the Hellcats. wink.gif

It does indicate why playing a scenario the first time is mose 'realistic' though. It also helps to understand how RL COs do so many 'dumb' things... ain't hindsight grand?

My experience after several playings of Last defense is that the entire game is resolved during the hellcat entry turn. Bit of an anticlimax.

First time I played this (as US player) I moved the hellcats of the hill. Bad move.All Hellcats burning within seconds. Force in town routing across the stream.

Second time I did not move the Hellcats at all, took out all moving german AFVs.

Played as the germans and won barely, but again all AFVs burned within 2 seconds of Hellcat arrival.

Next time I tried positioning the 2 AFVs on the hill on the right of the wheatfield as seen from the german start. Behind some trees even. Not much luck. One hellcat tagged by the Tiger. Another Hellcat brought down by a massive effort of 105 shells, saved for this purpose. Last StuG hidden behind the house by the wheatfield. Hellcat moves on hill, gets off two shots to the StuGs one. StuG burns.

Yet another narrow win for the desperate germans.

This scenario is a real challenge for the germans. Against non-AI opposition...Ouch..I think.

Next time I will try rushing the Tiger to the Hellcat entry hill. Dont know if it is possible.

Good game, bad interface.

What, no menus???

What, I cannot reassign keys???

I pray it is not so in final release.

ChrisB,

Right-click on a unit to get the command menu.

It might be nice to have menus with the detail controls and things like "Abort" and "Quit." But the keystrokes for those are pretty easy to memorize, and there is a hotkey list.

It's not a sim -- why would you need to reassign keys? The keystrokes are pretty intuitive as-is. They just need to be learned, same as any other game.

-- Mike Zeares