CM Performance in 5 years

Guest Big Time Software

It already has such a mechanism in it because it is already necessary. A small map, with few units and fairly flat terrain, would be totally crazy on a fast system.

Steve

Steve; you mean the playback in this situation don't you, because of course there shouldn't be a single person who would mind decreased AI processing time?

Just curious, and since this is totally off topic, don't bother replying if you don't want to, but have you done a comparison between graphics processing time and 'planning' processing time in this game? (the time required to step through the code I mean).

Thanks

Tom

Guest Big Time Software

Why the heck would we ever want to slow down number crunching? smile.gif What Pirate Bill was asking about was graphics animation speeds. If you have ever played a game that did not time its animations to some sort of empirical clock, instead just going full speed ahead, you would know why he asked this question. I remember learning why this is important quite vividly when Falcon 1 was played on a fast 286 instead of a pokey x86. You hit the throttle up and had about 2 seconds before the runway ran out. It was like flying a rocket ship wink.gif Oh, except you can control a rocketship in flight!

The amount of AI CPU cycles has no effect what-so-ever on frame rate (graphics), and vice versa. Don't forget that every action in the Playback Phase is precalculated before a single polygon goes to move. This includes the AI, path finding, LOS checking, casualties, spotting, etc. etc. Therefore it is totally irrelevant what each takes up as far as cycles as they are never going concurrently. And a lack/plethra of CPU cycles for AI is *NEVER* the reason why AI's are good/terrible. It is the underlying logic and programming that decide this, so measuring how many CPU cycles the AI uses doesn't tell anybody anything.

Steve

Guest Lokesa

"Shadow of the horned rat" was kind of screwy in that it's "winds of magic" cycle ran on a clock but the rest didn't so on my 486 I had excess magic comparatively and the game was too easy but on my pentium the hordes came on so fast there was never enough magic making the game terribly difficult. Too bad they didn't have a multiplayer version or a map generator that game was really good for it's time.