Max size of scenarios

In a previous post, you have claimed that the maximum size of a scenario would be about 3 X 3 km, and the maximum size of a force would be about a bn. I am guessing, however, that the limits to size would be a function of the amount of RAM in a computer-in other words, the more RAM, the larger an army and environment I can handle. If I am willing to accept choppiness in the graphics, is this accurate? Can I increase the maximum size of a scenario by increasing my RAM? And if so, what amount of RAM do the previous values (3 x 3 km, bn-level units) correspond to? What would you estimate the capacity of a computer with 32M, 64M, 96M of RAM to handle?

Steve

Guest Big Time Software

We do not plan on having a hard limit to either force size or map size. However, beta testing will let us know if this is a good idea or not wink.gif The figures of 3000x3000m (or a different shape w/equivalent sq meter area) map and 1.5 battalions per side is what we feel is the practical upper limit for today's hardware. The other limiting factor is playability. Commanding a force of 1.5 battalions will put you in charge of probably close to +/-200 units. This might not sound like a lot to some grognards, but it is. Remember that there are no "stack moves" and the constant, dynamic situations cropping up mean that you will rarely be able to ignore large quantities of troops on any given turn. Even if you don't issue new orders, you will likely want to check up on them. Therefore, there is a practical human limitationas well.

So.... in theory you could do up a 10,000x10,000 regimental battle if you had the right hardware (not possible today for sure!), but lots of luck trying to actually play it :) Our upper limit is merely a suggestion because it is as far as we cater to in terms of performance and especially UI. If you make bigger battles you are on your own.

Steve