Rally Points. . .

How about adding rally points for platoons? For example, in Riesberg as the Germans, I like to have Meister's Platoon forward, to nail the first Yankee tank that rolls down the road. After I kill my tank, or two tanks,

if they even come down the road, I normally lose Meister's HQ, Lead Squad and AT section to an infantry wave attack. Now, I know I could pull them back, but that position is great for killing lots of infantry before I lose most of that platoon. What I would like is the ability to set a rally point, where broken units of that platoon will automatically go after they can't fight anymore. Anything like that planned?

Actually it should be in already. Panicked units will usually rout away in the general direction of a superior HQ, be it company, battalion or platoon HQ. It's a good idea, therefore, to have your Company HQ somewhere to the rear to pick stragglers.

Guest Scott Clinton

ooooh, I learned someting! I just figured they routed to the map edge...great!

On a (slightly) related issue: is there a trickle down effect for command delay to platoon HQs and their squads when they are far away from the Company HQ? I don't notice one....nice addition for CM2 wink.gif

------------------

The Grumbling Grognard

Guest Big Time Software

Jeff, Moon is correct. If your guys are under you controll (i.e. not panicked/broken) then obviously you can tell them exactly where to Rally. But if the unit is a bit, er, not very "with it", then it goes wherever smile.gif Generally this is towards an HQ or friendly map edge, but not always. Guys in this state aren't necessarily thinking too well wink.gif

Scott, we decided there shouldn't be a C&C delay between Co HQ and Plt HQ. The penalty simulates the problems of communication, especially over distanaces, but at least for this timeframe and force composition there are radios between platoon and company. So much of the C&C problem goes away. And in any case Platoons were supposed to be semi-autonomous once the battle kicked off, which also would reduce the reliance on the higher HQ. However, when we do earlier war stuff on the Eastern Front we will have to do something different as radios were practically non-existant in the Red Army.

steve

Steve, is fuzzy coding applied to this response time? I remember reading about a lot of radio failure. Especially those a platoon would be issued.

Guest Big Time Software

Scott, smile.gif

Bobb, we decided that this would add a slight bit of realism, but generally HQs did not really talk to one another during a pitched battle. They would, however, call for reinforcements and perhaps radio in reports of x enemy being in y. However, this is very tough to model when the player has total knowledge of his own forces. So this is something that should be saved for a larger treatment of friendly FoW. As we have stated before, this is a HUGE hairy issue that can't be tackled easily. Especially not in a first rev wink.gif

Steve