What are your favorite CM tips and tricks?

This isn't an in-game tip, but I find it helps me a lot. 

I like to take a screenshot of the entire map from a top down perspective, then open it in paint and start drawing out a battle plan. I mark key terrain, masked avenues of approach, and overwatch points for both my side and the enemies. It doesn't have to be fancy or all that coherent, as long as you know what it means. Here's mine from a PBEM I'm playing now.

JjVxVcV.jpg

I've used pink for my forces, blue for his. This is from before the battle actually started, so the blue is just speculation. However, because I took a look at everything carefully, my predictions were spot on. As a battle goes on I'll update the map with enemy sound and visual contacts, ect. 

The important part is identifying lines of sight, movement paths and overwatch positions. 

Edited by delliejonut

I thought exhaust fumes of unspotted tanks was also invisible. I am sure I have watched tanks disappear around a corner and noticed their exhaust stop forming at the point my men lost contact.

If you zoom in you'll often see traces of the tank's exhaust. If that tank happens to still be in motion you might get lucky by leading with an HE round. At the very least, the barrel of your gun is already pointing at the enemy if/when he reappears.

Edited by BLSTK