Map counts and sizes

ident

I can't tell you how many small maps there are, but there are lots of maps. One key feature of the game are the quickbattles. If you add up the scenario maps with alll the quickbattle maps you have more maps than you can play on.

Also, keep in mind that we have the map editor. If you see a big map it's easy to crop it down and create two or three small maps in the process.

What are the average map size in CMBS? Are there many small and tiny maps? Are there many maps at all?

I do not think that anyone has catalogued maps by size but Mark's new map naming convention in CMBS means the size is there for all to see in the file system.  As an example consider:

Village-Water (864 X 592) 299 Attack.btt

First part describes the terrain, second is the size, third is the unique number and last is the type of QB game it is for. So, you can see the size distribution pretty easily.

There are 330 map files in the QB directory but many of the maps are reused for attack, probe and assault so Mark usually does not count the individual map files.  By his way of counting there are 86 attack/probe/assault maps and 72 meeting engagement maps.

I do not think that anyone has catalogued maps by size but Mark's new map naming convention in CMBS means the size is there for all to see in the file system.  As an example consider:

Village-Water (864 X 592) 299 Attack.btt

First part describes the terrain, second is the size, third is the unique number and last is the type of QB game it is for. So, you can see the size distribution pretty easily.

There are 330 map files in the QB directory but many of the maps are reused for attack, probe and assault so Mark usually does not count the individual map files.  By his way of counting there are 86 attack/probe/assault maps and 72 meeting engagement maps.

In fact it is quite easy to check. When I start mission (in demo) I can sort by map size so it would suffice to find first element on that sorted list which has map size larger then time or small then number of this element minus one would give count of tiny + small map sizes.