PBEM problem, anyone else!?

I have a problem with PBEM games. So far, this has happened three times. After about 10 moves or so, someone will send a file and get the same move as the last turn. After being diligent about checking files etc. the first time it happened, it happened yet again. All three times both of us were sure we sent the right files, were careful etc. Is this a know bug and what can I do. I really love the game but won’t be buying another game that is really buggy in multiplayer.

Well this is a reall simple answer and please don't take any offence but it is "player error" wink.gif

Either you or the other person must have gotten mixed up because there is simply no way for the game to generate LAST TURN's movie etc from this turn's orders.

On the other hand, you're not talking about swapping the movie files are you? That might be what's confusing you? Remember you BOTH need to see the movie so..

If you plot your orders and then send the file to your buddy without watching the movie he MUST watch the movie and then send the movie back to you without plotting ANY moves. Then u watch it and plot moves.

Are you talking about that? If not then I think it's simply user error.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Hmm, I actually hope you’re correct...,but, this happened three times, with three different people after about 8-10 moves in each time. The thing is I’m very fastidious about these kind of things and after it happened the first time I was personally careful and even mentioned it to my opponents(two of them were experienced PBEMers as well). So it seems unlikely that I did anything careless more than the first time. So I guess I could be extreme co-incidence that this happened in all three games? Well, I’m playing another one and I’ll see what happens and I hope anyone else will post if they have any ideas or similar problems.

Thanks you Fionn for your prompt response, hope it was just bad luck/wacky odds. Let me know of any developments...

I had the same problem when I was PBEMing Martin in the AAR BUT that was due to me sending the wrong file by mistake a few times.

Now I'm used to the system and am playing about 10 PBEM games and haven't had one mistaken file sent.

I've also never seen that problem in any of my pBEM games so I think it must just be a mistake..

It sounds like it couldn't be a bug so I'd have to say its a mistake on the players part.

Sorry I can't be of more help.. BTW I find that instantly renaming files and filing them in their own directories helps keep things organised better.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

One easy modification that I would like to see is, instead of consistently generating "PBEM.TXT" (on PC platforms), generating a filename that's a little more informative like "Turn1.TXT", or "Allied1.TXT". Appending an "R" or "F" suffix for "results" or "film" would be a boon, too, to separate orders and film files.

Unless this is just the way the Beta demo does it, and the release will be more friendly and capable in that department?

Dar

I am currently having a different PBEM problem. I am at turn #2 as the Americans in Last Defense.cmb . The other player sent his turn and I could watch is move. When I clicked done to make my orders it immediately wrote a PBEM file.

It did this at least 5 times on two diffent Macs. (He is using a PC)

We are sequencing the files so we have all the moves so far.

Note: CM opens some sort of temp file in the directory that the PMEM file is located. So what ever you do don't use a 3.5 floppy as your source or it will realy slow it down and may crash it with a Type 2 error if there is not enough room. For Speed I move it to the ram disk.

Regards

Patrick Ford

Guest PeterNZ

It's supposed to write a file after you watch the movie.

there's lots of other threads around here explaining why that's the case.

just relax, send him the file and continue. Do as the splash-screen instructions tell you smile.gif makes life a lot easier than all this thinking and worrying.

PeterNZ

(we need to make a big FAQ huh?)

Guest Big Time Software

On our list is a better way to name PBEM files. Designer's error on this one -> we didn't think people would be playing more than one PBEM game at the same time smile.gif Oooops wink.gif PvdW that has GOT to be what is happening to you. It is impossible for the game to generate a movie from the previous turn's data because it simply isn't in the file. So it is either a naming problem or the "you sometimes only get to watch the movie" thing that people think is a bug, but is very much an anti-cheat feature.

Pford... never read files directly off a floppy for anything. That is just asking for trouble wink.gif

Steve

Since there seems to be a fair amount of confusion concerning the correct order of sending files (and which files) in PBEM games, will the manual give a detailed description of how to play a PBEM game? I'm sure there are many of us who have never tried a PBEM game before.