Cool new feature? Lose all Air Controller, aircraft attacks anyway ala Red Thunder

I've been playing hot seat with my friends, getting them hooked.  We've ben playing quick battles mostly, they like to pick the guys.  In my first battle against one of them he takes a plane, I think it a su34 antitank, with an aircraft controller.  He doesn't dismount them from the tigr right away after bringing 'em up and one of my first tank rounds of the game take out the aircraft controller and other important guys.  He says he hadn't called it in yet and my su-24 bombed him pretty good so he was a little bummed about his bad luck on the air to ground front. 

But then, somehow, a while into the battle, his su34 showed up and shot a missile at my recoilless rifle, and maybe shot some other stuff, I think.  I didn't think it was mine and checked the asset and it didn't seem to be going, and he checked his and it said "busy" and "go to spotter", but there was no spotter.  I figured it was an awesome new feature.