Game turn length

Should be something you can set as a designer. Doubt it will be, though.

I think 5-10 minute turns would be pretty cool and give you a more realistic feel for the battle, but I'm sure most people want more control over their troops(as is evidenced by the fact that they're more likely to stick to your orders in the final).

Hey,

1 min does feel short sometimes.

Another way to decrease the control players have over their troops would be, insead of having them "pause" to wait for orders from their commanders for a while, sometimes hae units misinterpret orders. Move to the wrong house, shoot at the wrong unit, deviate from their waypoints some, stuff like that.

This would simulate the difference between the orders, "Sgt. Millbrook, move your men in a tight formation up those scattered trees as fast as you can and lay down some fire on the machine gun that's wrecking up on our mortars." Which is fine if the commander is 2 feet from Sgt. Millbrook, but is probably not very realistic for combat situations. I would imagine the orders might be something more like, "Millbrook! Wax that machinegun! Now!" He may not know which one to hit or even where it is and that can lead to confusion.

Having units misinterpret orders once in a while would make the game unpredictable and effective give the player less control. (Good things)

Just an idea

- Bill

[This message has been edited by billcarey (edited 12-03-99).]

Guest John Maragoudakis

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Move to the wrong house, shoot at the wrong unit, deviate from their waypoints some, stuff like that<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, we saw the reaction when squads didn't always shoot at the target that you gave them. People screamed for more control. Now people ask for less control. You are going to drive BTS nuts smile.gif.

PS Good to be back on the net. I moved and now have a cable modem * smile.gif*.

Guest Captain Foobar

I have to agree with John; When I saw the title of the thread, I figured you would be asking for shorter turn sequences, to give more control.... But I think 60 secs is a good compromise. Good balance

One guarantee...

For everyone who wants it there will be as many who don't. Also, the longer the turn the more work the TacAI has to do with retargetting etc which would probably drive half the board insane since they want to determine exactly what is being fired at all of the time.

I think 60 seconds is about right. It's an easy length to understand and neither too much nor too little happens in sixty seconds.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Well

I'm a 'lazy' gamer, I prefer to watch more than I play smile.gif I hate micro-managing! I mean I just want a 90sec turn as an option for single play, so I get more movie watching in each turn.

Ok if BTS implemented a Computer vs Computer game mode in the phased style of a PBeM, then I would not need this feature smile.gif Yes! Actually why doesn't BTS implement a Computer vs Computer mode using the PBeM play sequence?! I would love this, and it would be easy to implement! The AI would do orders for each side in a turn, since it is phased, it would take the role of the 2 players in a normal PBeM. And you would watch each sides movies in turn, and see it from that sides perspective. How about it BTS? I'd really like something like this, I enjoy this type of activity as much as playing against an opponent frown.gif

------------------

------------------

CCJ

BLITZ_Force

My HomePage -----> www.geocities.com/coolcolj/

[This message has been edited by CoolColJ (edited 12-04-99).]

Guest Captain Foobar

I agree with Rick, about him agreeing with me, about me agreeing with John about 60 second turns being just fine...hehe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Move to the wrong house, shoot at the wrong unit, deviate from their waypoints some, stuff like that<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea that was in a game called close combat smile.gif shall we have the tanks put their asses towards the enemy too?