Questions about air strike

exsonic01

Hello

Please give this noob a knowledge and wisdom about the airstrikes.

1) If I command "area" air strike, should I need to spot / observe all enemy units? Or, the planes and choppers will gonna automatically engage the enemy in the area, though spotter can't see them?

I'm currently playing US campaign and it is the mission for joint fire works, but my planes seemed to be quite passive. To me, it looks they only hit units what spotters are seeing. Is this just my bad luck? Manual says direct spotting can affect the accuracy. Is this means that airplanes prefer the spotted targets in the area?

2) How long it takes for airplanes to operational after "empty / landed"?

While Apaches reload and return pretty quickly, it seems my airplane pilots gone for lunch or bathroom after they landed. I looked for the manual but I couldn't find any references regarding this. How long should I need to wait for those bombers to become operational again? Or is that means the end of sortie for that mission?

3) What kind of 'Mission' should be chosen against Tank / Vehicles? (F16)

Apaches seems obvious, since heavy mission brings more Hellfire (is this right?). F15E only have HE bombs, so mission does not matter. F16 however can choice between only bombs or bomb + atgm. For F16, "heavy mission" is for only bombs? or Heavy means atgm + bomb?

4) How can I place and use "TRP"?

Manual says I can use TRP, but didn't tell me how can I place it. I look for all unit's commands, but I couldn't find the command like "set TRP". How can I place the TRP during setup phase or in-game, and how can I use them?

5) How can I beat AA?

Like all other tactical / strategic games, SAMs and AAAs are real PITS, specially for the missions like that "fire work" mission. Whatever I do, I can't escape from losing all Apaches and 1~2 of 3 airplanes given to the mission. There are just too many AAs all over the map. I picked 5AAs (2 Tungu-M + 2 Strela-10M + 1 Igla squad) before I begun airstrike (with arty), but still I saw 4~5 trails from the ground to the air and one of them is Tungu's damn-plane-grinding-cannons. Any hints for this mission? I enjoyed wargame for a long time (from WEE), and I really love Tungu. But, of course, it is the best PITS for US campagin until now.

Thank you

Best,

Edited by exsonic01

2) How long it takes for airplanes to operational after "empty / landed"?

While Apaches reload and return pretty quickly, it seems my airplane pilots gone for lunch or bathroom after they landed. I looked for the manual but I couldn't find any references regarding this. How long should I need to wait for those bombers to become operational again? Or is that means the end of sortie for that mission?

I wasn't even sure they came back after empty/landed.  IRL, it's a rapid turnaround on helicopters because they might be doing a touch and go at a FARP something within artillery range of the front line.  Fixed wing, they're likely flying all the way back to base and it'll  be a hot minute before they get turned around (like even a quick turnaround from my understanding might be 20-30 minutes if there's a spare pilot+flight time)

3) What kind of 'Mission' should be chosen against Tank / Vehicles? (F16)

Apaches seems obvious, since heavy mission brings more Hellfire (is this right?). F15E only have HE bombs, so mission does not matter. F16 however can choice between only bombs or bomb + atgm. For F16, "heavy mission" is for only bombs? or Heavy means atgm + bomb?

From my limited experience, the plane will still use missiles on the tanks, bombs on not tanks. 

4) How can I place and use "TRP"?

Manual says I can use TRP, but didn't tell me how can I place it. I look for all unit's commands, but I couldn't find the command like "set TRP". How can I place the TRP during setup phase or in-game, and how can I use them?

If you're going into a quick battle, they're under the fortifications menu.  If you're going into someone's scenario, look for defensive position icons, the TRP will be a little red circle with an X in it.  Place them where the enemy is expected, and within a certain distance of the TRP artillery will be super-quick.

5) How can I beat AA?

Like all other tactical / strategic games, SAMs and AAAs are real PITS, specially for the missions like that "fire work" mission. Whatever I do, I can't escape from losing all Apaches and 1~2 of 3 airplanes given to the mission. There are just too many AAs all over the map. I picked 5AAs (2 Tungu-M + 2 Strela-10M + 1 Igla squad) before I begun airstrike (with arty), but still I saw 4~5 trails from the ground to the air and one of them is Tungu's damn-plane-grinding-cannons. Any hints for this mission? I enjoyed wargame for a long time (from WEE), and I really love Tungu. But, of course, it is the best PITS for US campagin until now.

Artillery is useful in suppressing suspected MANPADs positions, as they're not really helpful in cover.  That said, I feel like the air defense should result in much less kills, and more aborted target runs.  In practice most SAM/AAA systems make the approach too dangerous to complete, vs simply murdering anything with wings within LOS.  

I wasn't even sure they came back after empty/landed.  IRL, it's a rapid turnaround on helicopters because they might be doing a touch and go at a FARP something within artillery range of the front line.  Fixed wing, they're likely flying all the way back to base and it'll  be a hot minute before they get turned around (like even a quick turnaround from my understanding might be 20-30 minutes if there's a spare pilot+flight time)

From my limited experience, the plane will still use missiles on the tanks, bombs on not tanks. 

If you're going into a quick battle, they're under the fortifications menu.  If you're going into someone's scenario, look for defensive position icons, the TRP will be a little red circle with an X in it.  Place them where the enemy is expected, and within a certain distance of the TRP artillery will be super-quick.

Artillery is useful in suppressing suspected MANPADs positions, as they're not really helpful in cover.  That said, I feel like the air defense should result in much less kills, and more aborted target runs.  In practice most SAM/AAA systems make the approach too dangerous to complete, vs simply murdering anything with wings within LOS.  

Wow, thank you for detailed explanations. Those helped me a lot.