Firing ATGMs and other special weapons

FroBodine

Newbie running through the tutorial.  It talks about the Bradleys having TOW ATGMs, and the Abrams having airburst capable shells.

Do you have to give any special commands to get a vehicle/tank/infantry to fire their ATGMs (or any special weapon) as opposed to just their machine guns or cannon, or will they fire them automatically as needed?  I would have the same question for man-portable weapons.  

Very newbie question, I know.  I feel shame.

Edited by FroBodine

Playing CMBS I found myself several times wishing I could in fact decide which weapon to use. Normally I would had picked ATGMs over other kinds of weapon systems.

Had also cases in which I really wanted specialized ATGMs teams to engage in-building infantry with their missiles, tried both area and point fire but they just used ARs. 

I would think it's not very realistic as, afaik, on modern battlefields ATGMs are employed against pretty much everything, while in BS their carriers seems to be a little conservative with them

Playing CMBS I found myself several times wishing I could in fact decide which weapon to use. Normally I would had picked ATGMs over other kinds of weapon systems.

Had also cases in which I really wanted specialized ATGMs teams to engage in-building infantry with their missiles, tried both area and point fire but they just used ARs. 

I would think it's not very realistic as, afaik, on modern battlefields ATGMs are employed against pretty much everything, while in BS their carriers seems to be a little conservative with them

How close were your ATGM's to the hostile buildings? Remember ATGM's have an minimum arming distance that needs to be reached. If that building is to close than trying to use the ATGM's will not work.