Searching for info

I am looking for info on the LAH (Liebstandarte Adolf Hitler). I know that CM will only be doing later war scenarios in release 1, but I am planning for the future as well. Bring on CM2!!

Ideally, I would like to make a whole series of scenarios, covering the most important/famous/interesting battles or actions undertaken by part or all of the LAH throughout the war.

Ideally, a source for the Unit History would be great, and no, I haven't gone down to the national archives in DC yet. Too much work around the house getting ready for the fall season.

I'm being lazy and hoping that someone here has a reference to the info.

Herr Oberst,

The book I've been reading entitled M. Wittmann and the Tiger Commanders of the Liebstandarte is a very good ref. covering the original 13th Heavy Tiger Co. of the LAH in Russia from its first deployment during winter of '42-'43 in the recapture of Kharkov, through Kursk and later actions in Russia, and then switching to western front when the unit was redeployed and rebuilt into the covering actions in Normandy (redesignated 101st SS Panzer Battalion and later 501 SS) through Battle of the Bulge. Unit ended the war back in the east in Hungary / Eastern Germany if I'm not mistaken. Anyway, it is a great read on this sub unit of the 1st SS division LAH including many detailed battle accounts of both this unit and other units in the division it fought with along w/ a detailed OB of the unit itself during various points in the war like just prior to Kursk, Normandy, Bulge, etc. It's a very large book (larger than 8.5" x 11") and a good 500-600 pages long w/ lot's of pictures as well.

Mike D

aka Mikester

Guest Big Time Software

Check out Schiffer's offerings. I am pretty sure they have a two volume set on the Leibstandarte. A great source for books like this is Eastern Front Books at 540-338-1972

Steve

I actually have a five-volume set on the history of the LAH (Includes 2 map books) These are excellent books with much much detail lots of published operations orders, pictures, maps, and first hand accounts. They were done by Rudolf Lehmann (I think he was the eventually the div Ia) There is also a seperate large volume by Lehman (I don't have it) which is just pictures.

They're available through a number of sources, schiffer, scholars bookshelf etc.

These also a history of 7th Company/1ss panzer regt which is in the same format but for one company. Pretty good.

I'm also reading right now the div history of the 12SS which is very well written full of all the mundane details a historian would love (training schedules etc) witha seperate map book and pictures. And one on the 17th ss div which did most of it's fighting in Yugo.

Other recommended title:

Two volume set on the 3rd Parachute regt including so many rare photos from Crete.

That just scratches the surface.

Los

Another very good and fairly detailed book I just finished reading a couple of weeks ago is Steel Inferno, The I SS Panzer Corps in Normandy which discusses all the actions of the LAH and 12 SS HJ in Normandy. It's written by a Ret. British Maj. General Michael Reynolds and it is interesting how much he bashes the Brits and Canadians for their lack of initiative, etc. in the campaign in the area from Caen to Falaise.

Mike D

aka Mikester