Dance of the Sugar-Plum Hellcats

Guest L Tankersley

Guest L Tankersley

Played Last Defense over the weekend as the Americans. I took out all the German armor for the loss of one Hellcat, and then moved the surviving TDs down to support my infantry counterattack (the counterattack was probably a bad idea - it cost me many more casualties than I needed to take, but sitting there killing the german remnants as they ran up to the town for the next 18 minutes seemed boring).

At one point I had both TDs in the grainfield with the wall where the one US platoon sets up by default. I wanted to send one over to the west flank so issued orders to that effect, while the other was acting on prior orders to move over hull-down behind the wall. Well, naturally the delays conspired to have them run into each other almost immediately. Then one backs up and turns, the other rotates a bit and starts again, and they run into each other again. They repeated this little dance about 5 times before they finally managed to get past each other. It was just like running into someone in a hallway and doing a little dance where you both go left, then you both go right, then you go left again ... amusing.

Anyway, happy holidays, everyone. Get some rest so you can come back strong, Steve & Charles! wink.gif

Leland J. Tankersley

Hellcats are nasty little vehicles. In the final version this dancing of AFV's will probably won't be too much of a problem. I have had problems with mixing tanks, when they cross eachothers path they both are too gracious and each try to let the other pass. What we need are the signal corps. A much neglected, but, very important part of the Army.

I too managed to kill every StuG and the Tiger without losing a single Hellcat. Well, I was full of confidence and had them spearhead my counter attack. However, these things can't stand up to much. Mortors knocked out all three over a period of time. They are just as bad as Halftracks. These damn tank destroyers are little better than their name suggests. All they are good for, is destroying tanks. Infantry, with any Anti-tank support can chew these things up. Why couldn't the Allied build real Tank-Destroyers like the Jagdpanzer, Jagdtiger, Marder... uh, let's forget the last one..

Guest L Tankersley

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>how could you get the Tiger with your hellcats????....Artificial Intelligence is not intelligent! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good fortune. When the hellcats showed, the two StuGs were on the main road back by the outlying building. The Tiger was over back behind the victory building located on the diagonal road (the AI send everything up the main road except the Tiger which came around to the flank). Two of my hellcats were hulldown to the german AFV in their starting locations. I had them stay put and open fire while the third raced west to another hulldown position. I got several hits on the Tiger that broke up and richocheted and immobilized it towards the end of the turn. One Stug was also killed and the other had been hit but was still alive. The second turn the Tiger finally hit the hellcat I redeployed, but the other two soon knocked out the Tiger and remaining StuG, and cleaned up the halftracks for dessert.

Leland J. Tankersley