Pausing

Guest JonS

How do I get an AFV (or squad for that matter) to pause in the middle of a string of orders. I've tried to get a tank to sneak up the side of a hill, pause for 15 secounds, then reverse back down the hill, but each time I hit the pause command it just added 15 seconds to the delay before ANY of the commands would be carried out.

On a related issue - what sequence of orders is the AI using in CE when it sneaks the StuGs up onto the ridge fires, pops smoke, then reverses? I can't seem to include any fire orders in the order-string, so unless the TacAI is firing the smoke something odd is going on, or the AI has more command options than I do.

Any thoughts

Thanks

Jon

------------------

Quo Fas et Vino du Femme

A Stug under my command preformed the pop smoke and reverse, when my cunning advance to the top of the ridge in chance encounter unmasked not only my Stug but all 5 shermans wink.gif. So I presume it's the Tac AI actions ie the crew saying Bugger! And procceding to pull them selves out of a sticky position.

This point seemed crucial to me. In a simple sequence like "go there, see new enemy unit ad fire at it" it's obvious that you must entrust to the AI. But in a more complex string of order (like the case "smoke, wait and run away")things seem not so easy. May be CM's AI is REALLY so intelligent that you need just the first order of the chain to see the others performed as you liked. But sometimes it doesn't seem to happen (AI seems especially reluctant to smoke). I'm trying more test to see if the way AI does it's better than the way I'd liked to plan.

Anyway, I think that guys at Battlefront can explain their idea about things should work in "planning a string of orders".

------------------

Thanks,

Bye

V.

The pause order only adds pauses at the beginning of the turn.

The TacAI will decide what to do when it views enemy tanks. If it thinks the odds are reasonable it will fire. If it thinks it is in trouble then it might just get the hell out of dodge so to speak wink.gif

The AI is reluctant to use tank smoke since usually it is better to fight it out. It does sometimes deploy smoke though the main barrel but usually it chooses to fire another AP shell instead of a smoke shell since that's usually the best thing to do.

I find that I can order tanks to hull-down positions and reverse back to full defilade. It just occurs over two turns rather than one since the tank takes 30 seconds or so to get a few shots off before retreating.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers