Previews/Reviews

Guest Big Time Software

Yes we do. It isn't easy though. However, it really doesn't matter for people that know about CM already since the demo will be out prior to release. I can't think of one wargamer out there that trusts someone else's opinion more than their own wink.gif

Steve

Haha, you've got that right Steve; I'm a god doncha know smile.gif

However, to be serious you are 100% right in my opinion. Game mags? They look awful pretty, but they're mostly just a bunch of ads so far as I can see.

I've *never* purchased a game based on an article/preview/review published in a magazine. It's a) following a game since it's inception, rather like I've done with CM, B) trying out a demo, like Steel Panthers, Warlords 3, HOMM 3 and Starfleet Command, c) Usenet reviews from people that I trust and sometimes d) reviews in online mags.

Though, I do wonder how CM will sell if Johnny Public can't pick up a copy of the game at the local store (no son, you CAN'T use my credit card to buy a....what kind of video game did you say?).

It's certainly a bold experiment you guys are embarking on, and I'm just glad that it's not my money at risk.

Tom

Thomas,

I pretty much agree with your four categories of determining whether or not to purchase a game. That's generally the policy I follow. In the last two years, I have NEVER pre-ordered or purchased a game in the first few weeks after release. (As a result I have a 100% track record of getting games that I enjoy and that are free of major bugs) Don't worry BTS, I'm 95% sure I will purchase this game, but I have to play the demo, and see the reviews from some trusted sites first. smile.gif

Pax,

ChromaTick

Guest Big Time Software

Tom, we will be getting wider press coverage, but the fact is that the "extra" sales we would pick up in retail would doom CM. The economics of shelf warfare would mean we would get the shaft (money) or you would get the shaft (quality). I'm sure you have already read our Manifesto, but if not:

www.battlefront.com/about

And don't worry about offending us by not preordering smile.gif We *know* why people are skeptical, and they SHOULD be. This is why we will put out the demo before we ship our preorders. If someone who preorder decides they rather not buy it after playing the demo (yeah, like that is going to happen wink.gif), their order will be canceled. However, people that want to take advantage of our preorder special will have to do so before the demo is out.

Steve

Sorry for the delay; spent a few days over the border in Grand Forks, ND drinking the town dry smile.gif

Yup, I've seen your manifesto and generally I agree with it. I even understand that 1 unit of CM sold via the web front store equates to x units sold on the storeshelves. The problem I've got (not with the game, thats a seperate issue I'll dive into in a moment )is that there may not be enough of a critcal mass for you guys to profit and stay in the CM business. Now, I know that profit is a highly individualized term; for instance, you might define it as making enough money to allow all of the employeess of BTS to stay alive. You could also define it as making enough money to allow all employess to buy Dodge Stealth's. Your game will sell, but will it sell enough? In other words; will the target audience (on line players )allow you to survive? I'll grant that an ad in a magazine will garner you some purchases, as would a review, preview or interview.

But, the economic side of the equation is not my concern; I can only hope that you guys are able to conclude that you have derived a profit....whatever your definition of the term is. My concern is the AI portion of the game. Not the component that reacts, but the component that *pro* acts. I'll grant you that your game looks good (in a visual sense), and is already the most realistic (in terms of detail and physics modelling). But....how will the game plan an attack or defense? How will it react to a threat? Etc.

Anyway, I've blathered enough already, and I've been without sleep for 60 hours, and have consumed far too many US microbrews for my liver's health so I'll sign off and bid everyone out there a happy 4th.

Tom

Guest Big Time Software

Hi Tom,

The thing about the economics is that we would likely go out of business if we went retail, even with greater sales, so the web *has* to be better wink.gif Seriously, don't worry about us staying in business. We can assure you that it won't happen. We aren't likely to get rich, but in business we will be come this time next year and the year after and...

As far as the AI goes, it will *always* be the weakest part of a game. ALWAYS. Well, unless the rest of the game sucks ass so hard that the poor AI looks great in comparison. However, BTS' AI has always been several notches above the pack, and it is dynamic and doesn't cheat. The TacAI that is in right now is the best I have ever seen, period. Good sign so far wink.gif

Steve

P.S. I don't get paid to say these things either. In fact, I haven't been paid since leaving Impressions 1.5 years ago wink.gif

quoth Steve:

"Seriously, don't worry about us staying in business. We can assure you that it won't happen. "

Well, ya had me worried for a bit there, what with you producing a superior product and listening to the gamers and all.

Chris