Move; Pause; disembark; move - How?

Want to disembark troops at a specific point?

In a previous thread it was suggested that I

drive to the point slow down and the troops will disembark when closest to their destination and then the AFV will drive on.

Did a test with 3 AFV - moved all 3 to a destination - slowed down - then turned and moved the AFV's 90o away! so that the troops/AI must know that this is the closest point. Only one crowd got off!

1) I might be missing something (also tested this 3 times), but I don't seem to be able to stop/pause an AFV in the middle of it's moves - i.e. Move fast - move - pause/stop - move - move fast etc. which would give the infantry time to get off. In the one case where it worked the AI seemed to stop the HT by itself. Would dearly like to be able to stop/pause in the middle (or anywhere) in a movement phase.

2) Would prefer if while I'm defining the AFV movement phase I could say exactly where I want my troops to disembark. E.g. move fast - move - stop - disembark (troops going there) - move fast

Johan,

You have to move the AFVs MUCH closer to the debarkation point for the infantry to jump out.

basically I like to bring my AFVs to within 20 metres of the debarkation point. THEN my infantry definitely de-ass.

I think it's a testament to the AI that anyone got off 90 metres from the debarkation point at all. Get the vehicles to within 20 metres and the infantry will de-ass.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Guest R Cunningham

Fionn,

Preemptive smile.gif....

Nudge, nudge, a nod as good as a wink to a blind bat. say n'more, squire, say n'more.

Re: "de-ass"

I know English is your 25th language and all but the correct term for rapid dismount in the US Army is "un-ass." Often I've heard only "get out." I know the brits use "debus" as the doctrinal term to dismount troops. "de-ass" might get used in a NATO operations in the spirit of cooperation.

conciliatory smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Anyway, I have not yet mastered the art of dismounting troops. Once I gave a halftrack that was some 30 meters away from a building two pause orders and a reverse order. I orderd the squad to "un-ass" the track and run to the building. They sat there, waited for the HT to finish reversing and then ran 90 meters to the building. They didn't get here until the next turn.

hell I didn't even know un-ass was a term. I just made up the word wink.gif (one of the joys of reading Gerard Manley Hopkins (combined with my non-conformist personality) was the acquisition of a lively disregard for conformity in the written and spoken word.. (A similar attitude can be seen in my approach to PBEM games.. opponents be warned wink.gif )

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers