Updates, Scenarios, Vehicles

BTS,

Q: Will the software have a reliable installation and update program (unlike a very detailed war game I use that had recent frequent updates and W98 problems and the initials WF)? CONCERN: Program installer requests like: Copy the update to the program directory and do a hand stand. Make sure to have a second person place a beach ball on your feet. Now execute the update. Now spin the beech ball till it hits 15 rotations per second. Then, turn the computer on and off quickly. Twice. Don't forget the Beer.

Q: Many users on this board will provide scenarios. Will it be an easy process to load these scenarios. CONCERN: People's user-created scenarios rarely worked. West Front forces me to put them into the program directory (I'll never find it again if I don't want it). PG2 had maps in one directory, scenarios in another and user scenarios in a third (I have screwed PG2 up with everything from equipment files to scenarios and forced to reinstall several times, because I can't remember where to put what when).

Q: Will vehicles be easily added? Once added, can I uninstall game and reinstall with the added vehicles still in place?

etc. etc.,

Q: If I head into a weekend and have a dozen important tasks to perform prior to Monday, and I spend 37 hours playing computer games, will Monday suck or not suck?

NOTE: If these topics have been covered, I apologize and please bad-mouth me publicly for being lazy and not searching the board.

As for being lazy, I have CM to blame. I just sit and read and sit and look and read.

If I have upset anyone with my comments on other games, I am sorry. But working for a software developer as a salesman for the last decade has made me intolerant of coding problems and difficult updates.

Richard Kalajian

KT, I'll try to answer your questions...

Q: Will the software have a reliable installation and update program (unlike a very detailed war game I use that had recent frequent updates and W98 problems and the initials WF)?

I assume it will. Only problems reported so far are DirectX related.

Q: Many users on this board will provide scenarios. Will it be an easy process to load these scenarios.

I certainly hope so.

Q: Will vehicles be easily added? Once added, can I uninstall game and reinstall with the added vehicles still in place?

Vehicles are going to be different. What about all the data that makes a vehicle go?

Probably not.

Q: If I head into a weekend and have a dozen important tasks to perform prior to Monday, and I spend 37 hours playing computer games, will Monday suck or not suck?

A BAD WEEKEND WITH CM IS BETTER THAN A GOOD MONDAY AT WORK!

[This message has been edited by Herr Oberst (edited 10-04-99).]

Guest Big Time Software

Pretty good answers Herr Oberst wink.gif

We are going to avoid the bulk of the problems that the certain game you mention has by making something that works correctly out of the box wink.gif Have no fears, Charles has a VERY good reputation for stability and few patches (usually for gameplay stuff, not crashing).

All user created scenarios will work just fine. We have only ONE editor, for us and for gamers, so there can be only one of two results -> all have problems or all work just fine. We are sure the latter will be the case wink.gif

Scenarios that require additional (i.e. not in v 1.0) vehicles will not be playable without the version that introduced them. If you uninstall v 1.0 (why would you ever do such a thing?!?! smile.gif) you will have to update the game again. Absolutely no way around this.

Work 7 days a week and you will find that Monday isn't anything special to be concerned about!

Steve

Thanks for the quick replies. Well Monday sucked huge (worst in four years).

BTS SAID: Scenarios that require additional (i.e. not in v 1.0) vehicles will not be playable without the version that introduced them. If you uninstall v 1.0 (why would you ever do such a thing?!?! ) you will have to update the game again. Absolutely no way around this.

Response: I thought you were supposed to uninstall once a week to keep the game running stable..............................................................just kidding.

I am thinking of a recent situation with System Shock 2 required me to uninstall and then reinstall and situations where my registry corrupts and I must restore an old registry (usually prior to installing the key games I am using). Two fold question: 1) Will the scenarios, save games etc., and such added after the install be present after uninstall. 2) Will the update need a fresh install? I know the second half of the question is really difficult to answer now, but I thought I'd ask anyways.

Richard Kalajian

Guest Big Time Software

No idea since we don't have an install program working yet, not to mention an uninstall one wink.gif Generally this is practically the last thing done before release.

The safest thing to do if you ever have to uninstall a program (and you should NEVER have to do this, if the game is sound) is to move all save and user created stuff OUT of the root game directory. Then after reinstall move them all back in. Safe as can be wink.gif

Steve