3D vs. top down

BDW

It is funny - I remember in the early days of the old board, many people were opposed to and confused by BTS's 3D plans for CM. Some people were downright furious about it!Many were insisting on a top down view and covinced they would ONLY play the game from that perspective. I wonder if they still feel the same way...

My buddy was playing CCIV the other day and I felt claustrophobic just *watching* it. I wanted him to go to the #4 view so bad! It was horrible being stuck in that top down world. You lose all sense of the broader picture of the battlefield and you constantly have to scroll all over to keep track of things.

I guess what I am saying is: "BTS you were right." Now I can NEVER go back. I realized when I saw CCIV that I am already taking CM's 3D system for granted.

However, I must say that the top down view in CM is very good for accurately positioning your troops in buildings or next to the walls, etc.

"It is funny - I remember in the early days of the old board, many people were opposed to and confused by BTS's 3D plans for CM."

Yes I was laughing heartily at the time at some of the idiotic comments. People were sticking their little flags in the ground "I probably won't use the 3d views and play from top down!" hehehe. "I'm not going to ride in that train, I have a perfectly good horse!"

Los

It probably ran into a tank.

Average survival of a full-strength infantry squad which runs into a solitary tank is three seconds or one main gun round.

I NEVER knew 75mm HE was so effective wink.gif

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Guest Captain Foobar

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>"I probably won't use the 3d views and play from top down!" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Any people who still hold this viewpoint, please e-mail me IMMEDIATELY so that we can do a pbem! smile.gif

Captain Foobar; you've been emailed. I won't make any public comments because the game system has been set and people obviously love it. However, should anyone wish to enter into a polite and private discourse regarding the utilization of 3d elements, please feel more than free to email me.

Tom