Target type

Was reading whats his names post about a stug targeting a sherman then deciding to target the infantry 400m away, And I've had a similar occurance but like this.

In chance encounter, I have a stug behind a small ridgeline, waiting in prey, lumbering sherman starts comming over the hill, but at the same time a platoon like 300m to the left comes into view too, the tank targets first the platoon shoots some MG rounds at it, then starts to target the sherman, by this time the sherman has seen the stug and has already aimed.

What I think would be a great addition is if you could have a "target type" button, Like you use it and click on a platoon and that unit will only target infantry, or a tank you click on a tank and it'll only target armored targets.

Also if that doesn't work maybe a target only button, like the stug knew from radio contact that the sherman was almost on him, you should be able to click target only on the sherman even if it is out of site and the stug won't target anything but that particular sherman when he sees him.

I mean from 50m away the stug should be able to get a good guess that the sherman is about to come over the ridge just from the noise.

Thnx, btw don't take any of this as critisism I think the game rocks.

Guest Big Time Software

We've done better smile.gif The problem is one of LOS. The battlefield is a place where things can pop in and out of LOS quite easily. While units *try* to not break off from an out of LOS target too quickly, it will lead to situations where crucial targets are not in fact targeted in the Moment of Truth smile.gif

It has become obvious that this is largely due to the realistic targeting delays built into tanks. It also almost always seems to happen when trying to lay in wait for something specific. So what we have done is allow all vehicles with some sort of main gun to set their own Ambush points. However, infantry type units can not use these Ambush points unless they are in C&C.

This should fix the problem you spoke of.

Steve

Rommel,

I had a similiar experience with the new scenerio. I snuck my last StuG up over a ridgeline, positioning him to have an absolutely mouth-watering flank shot against the last remaining Sherman. Suddenly, he wheels his turret around 180 degrees to engage some infantry 300 yds away! The Sherman missed with its first shot, and the StuG tried to spin its turret back, but, well, I'm sure you can picture what happened next.

The infantry was no threat to the Stug, the Sherman was. Why would it give up a shot at the most dangerous enemy on the battlefield to take a few pot-shots at some puny infantry safety hidden in woods. I chalked it up to the StuG not seeing the Sherman, which seemed pretty unlikely, but the only explanation I can come up with.

Steve, from your discription of the fix it is not clear to me whether the new ambush points for vehicles with main guns are set by the

tactical AI or the player. On the surface it would seem that it would necessarily be the player; but, with Charles at the helm, who knows! Next thing we know the damned AI will be sending players taunting chat messages as it gloats over its victories.

The ambush markers can be set by the player SO now you can tell that StuG to sit in ambush with its gun pointed at that ridge and virtually ignore any infantry etc anywhere else and blast that Sherman back to Detroit wink.gif

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers