If you open the war map and click on a country, in the lower left-hand corner of the screen there is a box with five symbols and an indication of how many of that resource a country has.

Belgium, for example, has one industrial icon, two ports, no oil wells, one mine, and one of something else.

The symbol for that something else seems to be a bunch of caltrops, which suggests that maybe it represents how many fortresses a country has. In Belgium's case this would be the fortress in Antwerp.

Looking at England I find one fortress at Gibraltar, Germany has one at Metz, Austria has two fortresses in Galicia, but I can't find Sweden's fortress at all, and the only fortress in Russia I can put my finger on is the one near Warsaw.

So either I'm wrong about what resource this symbol respresents, or there are some loose fortresses rattling around the map and I need a new pair of glasses (which I do in any case).

Cities, ports, oil wells,mines,fortresses.

You were correct in your assumption, but Sweden has a fortress in Lulea, where it has its mines.(border to Finland/Russia)

Russia has 1 just northwest of Warsaw and one in Brest-litvosk. And besides the ones you have already mentioned, that is all of the fortresses. So yea, yay.