Oh the discussions on War Thunder drives me mad...

Right now I'm in a discussion with some morons who are outraged (as in OUTRAGED!!1!!) because there is a video showing two king tigers, firing at a T-34 from around 200 meters, and it doesn't die on the first impact.

In fact, it takes 9 hits to kill it.

And I would totally understand the outrage... if it wasn't for the fact that these two nimwits are shooting at the engine of the tank, from the side.

So the only thing they are doing is putting more and more holes in the engine.

They're not going to knock out the crew or hit the ammo by doing that, and yet they still say that "one shot from an 88 should knock out a T-34".

It's enfuriating to try and argue with them. They're completely unaware of some of the more basic physics and what actually happens when a shell hits a tank.

Hell, one of them even said that shooting a T-50 with a solid shell from an SU-152 should flip the tank over... (well, he was talking about anti-concrete shells, but for some reason he has gotten it into his head that they are made of solid concrete...)

Say what?

Eh... sorry... just had to vent a bit.

Being on the internet has sharpened my awareness of how many thickheaded idiots there are in the world. I am sometimes amazed that they manage to operate a machine as complex as a computer when they haven't even mastered their own language, the one they have been speaking all their lives.

Michael

Edit: Cf Bob Dylan's song "Idiot Wind".

Yeah. The only reason I even engage with them is because they are (quite successfully) spreading the myth of "russian bias" in that game.

The game is bugged (it's still beta) and there are problems with the damage models, everyone knows this and the devs even admit to it.

But here's the problem:

People shoot at a russian tank and get a penetrating hit that does no damage... RUSSIAN BIAS!

People shoot at a german tank and get a penetrating hit that does no damage... working as intended, german tanks were notoriously hard to destroy... or some other excuse...

The best part about it is that everyone has to have the same forum name as they have in-game so you can easily check their stats and such...

And the most fanatical defenders of this "russian bias" myth have usually never even played with a single russian tank in the game.

How the heck can anyone argue that the game is biased when they've only tried one side?

Anyway... still venting :P

People shoot at a german tank and get a penetrating hit that does no damage... working as intended, german tanks were notoriously hard to destroy... or some other excuse...

Nazi fanboism will never die. It's like a zombie or the broom in The Sorcerer's Apprentice. When you kill it, it keeps coming back.

Michael

Nazi fanboism will never die. It's like a zombie or the broom in The Sorcerer's Apprentice. When you kill it, it keeps coming back.

Michael

I wouldn't call it "nazi fanboism", however, the myth of the panzer is still well and truly alive today.

Honestly I used be like a lot of those people when I was 15 or so, whenever I would lose a Tiger in company of Heroes I would be shocked! A tiger destroyed? No way!

:D

Go easy on them and try to teach them! ;)

Heh, I was still pretty impressed by the tiger and panther when CMRT came out (having somehow forgotten the lessons learned in CMBB) but those impressions were quickly shattered by the russians when they faced the IS tanks, T-34/85's and SU's...

So I get why it's easy to fall into the myth of the panzer, but to completely ignore logical things like "shooting a tank in the engine from the side over and over will not kill the crew" is just mind-boggling...

Also, someone is arguing that it's not fair to put the Tiger up against the IS-2... because the Tiger in the game is of the H1 model...

As if it would make a difference if it was the E model :/

Right now I'm in a discussion with some morons who are outraged (as in OUTRAGED!!1!!) because there is a video showing two king tigers, firing at a T-34 from around 200 meters, and it doesn't die on the first impact.

In fact, it takes 9 hits to kill it.

And I would totally understand the outrage... if it wasn't for the fact that these two nimwits are shooting at the engine of the tank, from the side.

So the only thing they are doing is putting more and more holes in the engine.

They're not going to knock out the crew or hit the ammo by doing that, and yet they still say that "one shot from an 88 should knock out a T-34".

The T-34 should though suffer some noteable performance issues if its engine has been destroyed. Without the engine, the turrent has to be rotated manually (probably, i dont know exactely how the internals of the T-34 worked, but tanks usually require the engine to be running in order to rotate the turret, unless a small independent secondary engine is innstalled for this purpose) wich is much slower than powered rotation, the tank should not be able to move or turn its hull and each hit in the engine section should have a certain probability of igniting the fuel. If the T-34 remained completely unaffected by the first 8 hits of the 88mm in the engine section at 200m, their outrage was kinda justified.