Assault Scenerio--discussion

I have been messing with this scenario for awhile, and I wanted to mention that it is one of my all time favorites.

Very clear briefing. Good intel at the beginning. Does not seem to have gimmicks or puzzles. Just an...assault.

For discussion (and, of course there are spoilers-like, but doubt that is an issue).

Did you go to the right or the left as the Soviets? I went to the right, but could see a very different, interesting battle going left.

Use your tanks as taxies, or use them for overwatch?

I used mine for overwatch, but it was painful to get all the infantry to the front. Though I did it some on this battle, it takes a gun to my head to ride exposed infantry units on tanks or trucks near the front. Sometimes it works, but I feel like an incompetent when it does not.

How much of your initial artillery did you turn one set for as a target--albeit with a delay?

I did that with all my off-board mortars. One of the big reasons I liked this battle is that I though it was winnable/playable on the initial try. I don't like having to know where the enemy troops are. Totally clobbers the immersion for me. I htt the hill, on the right side, and the village/crossroads behind it.

Again, not quite completely finished, but very pleased with this battle.

Finally, I save with the number being the number of turns left (ie, with a 60 minute battle, my first save is 060, and I go down from there). On easy scenarios, I may make saves like 060-045, so I don't have to delete so many saves later.

Is that something others do?

• 3 months later...

Well I like this too, but It's a bit hard... it seems I never have enough arty fot both thsi sides of the hill and the other hill with the AT position.

Also my men get killed a ton by the pillbox in front of the hill...and the 3 tanks get easily killed by german armor...

Pretty much a nightmare this scenario for me...

This was the first scenario I played and I actually beat it on my first try, which is really impressive for me!

I concentrated on the right flank and used mortars and my T-34-85's to pound the hell out of that hill. Under the unleashed hell that was the amount of ordinance I pounded the hill with, my infantry moved up swiftly some on another platoon of 85's, there wasn't much resistance on the hill after that ;).

*SPOILERS*

As for the Tiger counterattack, it was easy when its a knife fight with the 85's :cool: