Steel Panthers - The Death Of An Old Friend(sigh)

Alas,

For years, YEARS mind you, after picking up SP1 for $10 canadian in a bargain bin, I've played the Steel Panthers series. Every single game for it, most of the scenarios from the Wargamer, ALL of Wild Bill's outstanding scenarios, not to mention the rest of the Raiders' contributions.

I've spent hours downloading game variants, such as SP2WW2 and SP:WW2 on my former modem(a 14.4, I'm on cable now). I remember bragging to friends who spent $100 bucks a week on the newest FPS and RTS games, only to play them for a week and move onto the next one, that I have only invested $50 bucks for the SP:Arsenal set and love, and in return received hundreds of hours of tactical warfare at its best, or so I thought.

Then you miserable SOBs from the BTS come along, and MURDER my SP!!! <SOB> Oh, damn you. Damn you straight to heck. Did you really think I could go back? DID YOU???!!? With the release of your cursed beta demo, you just as surely pulled the trigger on my dear friend, SP. Now you HAVE TO release the game, lest I explode.

P.S. The above paragraph was entirely in jest(except the part about releasing the game, I mean, no rush, take your time), so please don't take offense. I love you guys!!

------------------

Jeff

--

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."

-Henry Louis Mencken (1880-1956)

Guest Big Time Software

Er, sorry about that smile.gif As with all "next gen" games, they tend to reduce (or even kill) interest in playing what has come before it. I played War In Russia for hundreds of hours, and although I have never found a strategic level wargame I have liked better, I can't play the thing any more because it is so painful to use. So in this case I can't bring myself to play WiR because of the GENERAL advance in gaming, instead of one wargame in particular.

Steve

This thread is exactly how I feel. I used to live, die, breathe SP. I gave up on it though the first day I saw the CM web site. Before that it was PacWar and WiR, but I quickly decided that the interface on both games was just too difficult to deal with, still love their concept though.

Hey Jeff!

And thanks guys.

For your info, part of the Raiders are here on this design team too. And guess what. We're still designing scenarios!

And there will be a special new section on the Raider page dedicated to new scenarios for CM on a regular basis.

And Fionn's CM HQ section at TGN is under full swing already.

So we're right here...in the thick of the battle. We go where the action is (G). And there is plenty of it in CM! You won't be disappointed, believe me. I know I haven't!

------------------

Dirctor of Scenario Design,

The Gamers Net

Suddenly the world seems a whole lot smaller smile.gif

War In Russia on Amiga (Or was it called War in the East then?), then amazingly fast turns on the PC… Played my first PBEM games when SP1 came out, autumn/winter of ´95 wasn’t it?

Had been waiting for that one. Even bought a copy in my local shop (“direct import”, 70$ back then) as the mail order took too long time to arrive and hence ended up with two copies, well, the way I was wearing it down it was just as well.

Played and played and played, I and II and III… Never really much against the AI (or whatever you should call it here) after the PBEM´s got rolling… It’ll probably be 2100 before we’ll be able to discuss politics, women and music with the AI in between turns anyhow.

SP2WW2 Showed what SP I should/could have been, vast improvement, a new lease of life indeed.

Alas… Enter CM… Exit SP

The King is dead! Long live the King!

Can’t wait for all the laughs, banter, seriousness and silliness get into a new high in my E-mail box, oh and CM playing too smile.gif

M.

P.S. Bill, the Wild one that is, Hard Corps was a joy to read, will it be available on line in the future?

War in russia,

I wish i could find a game as good as that was on the strategic level that was one of grigsby's best.Got some thing called high command but badly done

Any others out there that are on that level and are good, seen Op art war(talonsoft) yuk

------------------

AUCK

New Zealand

Superpower waiting to happen