Grog-nerds

Steve,

I agree, opinions don't hurt in and of themselves, but when acted upon can be devastating. This is the thought that makes it impossible to always be stoic (spelling?) about differences of opinion. I always try to avoid confrontation, but when you know that someone acting on a differing opinion will either directly hurt you or that which you care deeply about, one can't just let it go.

Jefferson never said he wasn't willing to fight, just that he wasn't willing to argue. He is the one, after all, that foresaw that we would need a powerful navy, and pushed hard to that end. He also saw the need for us to have sovereignty from coast to coast and was willing to fight for that as well.

Please understand that I never thought the battle with the destructive grog-nerds out there was the perfect context for the Jeffersonian approach. However, I think it still provides valuable instruction.

My Pastor did a sermon a few weeks ago and used the analogy of lawn care. He talked about how many people focus heavily on killing weeds. Their every effort is geared toward eliminating weeds from the yard. The problem with that approach is the grass goes lacking. He suggested that we (the congregation) should focus more heavily on growing strong, hardy grass -- and the weeds will take care of themselves.

Food for thought. By the way, I don't think the 10 million jews/gypsys/intelligentsia analogy holds here. Antisemitism was already strong throughout Europe long before Hitler's henchmen stepped in. He just blew the lid off of an already well charged powder keg. Just look at what is going on in Switzerland even today.

Not trying to start an argument here. Nor was my original post of the Jefferson quote meant to imply that taking on these grog-nerds was wrong. I just wanted to inject another viewpoint and point up that there is a cost to such an approach.

Pixman

------------------

The enchanter may confuse the outcome, but the effort remains sublime.