Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Help if you can

Could any members please help me, my father was at Bir Hacheim with the 43rd battery of the City of London Yeomany LAA. He was awarded the Croix de Guerre with bronze star along with 2 other English servicemen.

I am trying to find out why, and at the present moment cannot, I have contacted the French ministers of defence, my fathers military records. I am running out of options.

Any help or information or pointers would be, much appreciated.

Regards

Mr Tolan

• 1 month later...

Sonofbirhacheim,

Welcome aboard!

It would greatly help us in helping you were you kindly to provide his name. I believe, though, I may have some useful information. From the Croix de guerre Wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croix_de_guerre_1939–1945_(France)#Recipients

"Mentioned in Despatches : the lowest degree is represented by a bronze star while the highest degree is represented by a bronze palm:[2]

a bronze star for those who had been mentioned at the regiment or brigade level.

a silver star, for those who had been mentioned at the division level.

a silver-gilt star for those who had been mentioned at the corps level.

a bronze palm for those who had been mentioned at the army level.

a silver palm represents five bronze ones.

a silver-gilt palm for those who had been mentioned at the Free French Forces level (World War II only).[1]

The clasps are awarded for gallantry to any member of the French military or its allies and are, depending on the degree, roughly the equivalent for U.S. Bronze Star and Silver Star or UK Military Cross and Military Medal."

From this, and from your description, it would appear your father received the Croix de Guerre at its lowest level of award, equivalent to the US Bronze Star. Since I don't have a handle on the British awards, someone else will have to figure out the British medal equivalent.

Here is a complete alphabetical list of all WW II Croix de Guerre recipients.

http://en.ww2awards.com/award/42/A

Regards,

John Kettler