AA guns & sound stuttering

My ageing laptop has quite a problem with playing the sounds of the AA guns. Whenever an AA fires everything stutters and the sounds continue to play long after the last shot has been fired.

I guess the cause for this is the high number of separate sounds that have to be played in a very short time.

What I would like to ask BFC is to give AA guns a sound file that combines several shots into one file to lessen the load on the sound system.

My ageing laptop has quite a problem with playing the sounds of the AA guns. Whenever an AA fires everything stutters and the sounds continue to play long after the last shot has been fired.

I guess the cause for this is the high number of separate sounds that have to be played in a very short time.

What I would like to ask BFC is to give AA guns a sound file that combines several shots into one file to lessen the load on the sound system.

That would actually compound the problem since it would still play that sound for each shot.

However, I'll see if I can make a very small file for you that might fix the problem.

EDIT: I'm assuming you are talking about the 20mm quad AA here?

Thanks for the offer. I'll try that.

But I still think that combining the shots would help. I don't know what the minimum burst of an AA gun is but lets say its 5 shots. So the sound file has five shots in it instead of one as of now. If the AA fires a burst of 20 shots then the guns sound only has to be played 4 times instead of 20.

Of course it's more to it for BFC than making a new sound file. The game had to learn to fire one loud and four mute shots. Maybe that's easy or it isn't. I'm just asking. :)

Thanks for the offer. I'll try that.

But I still think that combining the shots would help. I don't know what the minimum burst of an AA gun is but lets say its 5 shots. So the sound file has five shots in it instead of one as of now. If the AA fires a burst of 20 shots then the guns sound only has to be played 4 times instead of 20.

Of course it's more to it for BFC than making a new sound file. The game had to learn to fire one loud and four mute shots. Maybe that's easy or it isn't. I'm just asking. :)

The problem is that the guns in the game doesn't fire in fixed bursts... it could be anything from 1-20 rounds really. So one sound could't cover that like they did in CMx1 :(

Sadly, no. I've created a 'ZZ' folder in /Data and put 'gun 20.wav' in it, restarted CM (is this necessary?) and tried it out. Both this and the altrnative (renaming and replacing the other file) made no difference.

However I'm not sure if CM was actually using the new file as it very much sounded like the original.

???

Sadly, no. I've created a 'ZZ' folder in /Data and put 'gun 20.wav' in it, restarted CM (is this necessary?) and tried it out. Both this and the altrnative (renaming and replacing the other file) made no difference.

However I'm not sure if CM was actually using the new file as it very much sounded like the original.

???

It is the original cut down to 0.1 seconds.

The alternative was the same file downsampled and then upsampled again.

If this didn't work then I'm afraid that it isn't the sound that is the problem, but the graphics.

I know that a heavy graphics load (explosions and whatnot) can make sound stutter in the game for me.

It's not the actual sounds but the graphics pulling you down :(