Points System Revisited

Dar

I believe BTS stated before, in the thread "Points System", that there would be a points system with which players could buy the units they want in a scenario. Is this still going to be implemented?

The reason I'm asking is because these two scenarios in the Beta demo would be much more enjoyable and replayable for me if I didn't know both sides OOBs like the back of my hand already. I certainly would not be charging the town as carelessly in the "Last Defense" with those tracks and tanks if I didn't know the Amis have no long distance AT defense. Even the possibility of a 57mm AT gun there somewhere would make me a bit more cautious, but there's no variety in the demo.

Will the points system be implemented in the real deal?

Dar

Guest Big Time Software

Dar, for a premade scenario like the demo ones, no, you can not buy units. That was actually never the plan wink.gif What you can do is buy units for a DYO (design your own) scenario that involves either a premade or computer generated map. For example, you could take the Riesberg map and have both you and the AI buy units, but both start out with no units at all.

Er, hope that made sense wink.gif

Steve

Steve,

Okay, I think I've got it. Pre-made scenarios will have fixed OOBs, but I can generate a scenario (using a random map or a pre-existing one) and both I and my opponent (whether another human or the AI) can buy units. Right?

That's all that I want to know--as long as I can generate battles and won't know what I'm facing, it will keep the challenge fresh.

Dar

Steve, would it be possible to have both in the same scenario. What I mean is could I set up a scenario with most of the units for both sides already chosen but with a small amount of points to spend also. This way we could guide the scenario but still leave an element of unpredictability in what exactly each side has.

Giving the editor the ability to set parameters on what could be bought would be cool as well. Like this many points has to be spent on infanty the rest can be used freely or even better allow for more specific stuff like limiting the choices to certain vehicles and infantry thus representing what was avaliable to a commander of a region at a specific time. An editor like this would allow for somewhat random scenarios that are historically placed.

I would like the editor to be as complete as possible but realize the time crunch. maybe something to think about for CM2.

Yeah, I agree, Lokesa. It'd be cool to stick each player with a fixed part of their force, so you can know that you're definitely facing, say, a company of veteran '44 Infantry with some assorted support elements, which may consist of a Tiger, or a couple of PzIVHs, or some mortars and heavy weapons, but you're not sure. You and your opponent only know what core forces you're facing. That'd be pretty slick in my opinion.

Dar

Guys,

I wouldn't expect it to be automated this version of CM BUT with the scenario editor it is quite simple to do that..

Take a ready-made scenario and agree to give yourselves 1000 points or so for extra goodies, buy them and then place them on-map and play.

A neutral third party to do the buying and placement would be best but once that's done you've got that type of game.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Guest Big Time Software

Dar, your understanding of how it works is correct.

Sorry, not "mixed mode" where a preset scenario can have variability. We did not think this was necessary (might be nice though!) and is far too hard to change at this point. Something to keep in mind though.

Roger, not at the moment, though the point score is partially based on purchase points. However, and I could be wrong here, if you go in and view the battlefield after it is over you can see the Global Morale level. This is based on the precentage of purchase points still in service.

Dar, all tanks in CM is basically USELSS unless the other side has all tanks (i.e. the AI isn't stupid <g>). There are many reasons, but one is the Victory Locations. To keep one you have to park a unit there. If you have all tanks that means one whole tank has to sit at each VL. If you only start out with 5, and there is an average of 4 VLs per game... you get the picture. Add to this that a tank not in motion, without infantry support, is just a brewup waiting to happen... smile.gif

Steve