Developing Logical Thinking: the Place of Strategy Games

One of the essential mathematical problem-solving skills that we want to help children to develop is that of logical thinking: ‘if this ... then that’. Strategy games are a great way to offer children the opportunity to develop this skill in a stimulating environment.

Strategy games are low-threshold, high-ceiling tasks where all children can easily access the game at its basic level and play ‘randomly’. The high ceiling is developing a winning strategy and communicating that effectively, in writing, to others.

Strategy games are a great way to enjoy some time with family and friends in the upcomming summer holidays.

Strategy games are a great way to enjoy some mathematics with family and friends outdoors in the upcoming summer holidays.

LOL I do not see that as even a remotely successful advertising campaign. Perhaps it could be a line in The Big Bang Theory though. :D

One of the essential mathematical problem-solving skills that we want to help children to develop is that of logical thinking: ‘if this ... then that’. Strategy games are a great way to offer children the opportunity to develop this skill in a stimulating environment.

I know I learned important life skills from playing strategy games, such as never leave home without a Sherman tank, but also always have scouts on foot searching likely lurking locations for enemies armed with AT weapons.

:D

But seriously, I think you have to carefully consider at what age this method is going to be successful. With some children, maybe never. But with those who will take to it, probably right before puberty might be a good time to start with some leeway of up to five years on either side of that. I also have a strong hunch that this method is more likely to succeed with boys than with girls. Girls can be quite logical, but they absorb the lessons in other ways.

Michael