Close Assault Query from novice

Guest PeterNZ

Dunno about anyone else, but for me it's just a move order that ends with an enemy unit. Move fast, (esp. if you have sub machineguns, cos they can fire and run), and hten when your men hit the other unit, hand to hand combat starts automatically. Not that pretty, but you do see the enemy number dwindle down, or yours!

PeterNZ

Close assaulting is basically what we all talk about when we bring friendly and enemy units in close proximity.,

Be VERY careful with that though.. You can lose a platoon in half a minute if you make a poor close assault.

A close assault FAVOURS the defender and favours the unit with the greatest close-in firepower and greatest manpower.

I just learnt to my cost that Germans in Last Defence are gonna suffer massive casualties if they close assault dug in Allied units.

Basically a close assault will end with either the enemy or your unit dead. There's no half measures here. It's death or victory time.

Be VERY careful when ordering close assaults there is a time and a place for them but 9 times out of ten when you think it IS the time and the place you are wrong, especially if you're relatively inexperienced.

Succesfull close-assaulting will set the expert players apart from the very good players.. It's very difficult to use properly.

It requires a great deal of skill to move your units into positions to close assault , requires fine judgement of fire rates vs distance to travel when weighing the risks vs advantages and requires a degree of co-ordination and an understanding of concentration of force and a willingness to suffer massive casualties if you make a tiny miscalculation.

In other words, its an advanced tactic..

Just my opinion of course.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

I just started (turn 1) a PBEM game (my first) as the Allies in Riesberg.

One thing I WON'T be doing is close assaulting all of those German SMG squads.

When I played the Germans I targeted an American MG at a range of about 20m with a full strength SMG squad and its firepower was over 300!

A couple bursts from 8 MP40s was all it took to silence the MG.

Jason

LOL.. I'll make no comments here as I know BOTH your plan and Bryans..

I do think you're both in for some MAJOR shocks though wink.gif

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Guest Scott Clinton

I never close assault a fresh enemy unit. Even if you outnumber the defenders the assualt will cost you too much.

1.) Spend a few turns firing on it to soften it up and hopefully reduce their will to fight.

2.) Then when you seed in the close assault units make sure you have at LEAST 2:1 odds in the men that will be fighting in the close assualt (3-1+ prefered)

3 Have some other unit(s) firing on the victim as you advance your close assault units. This suppressive fire is VERY important. Without it by the time your assault teams get there the odds may have reversed!

Also, in CM if you see the enemy go prone, stand up BRIEFLY then go prone again while under your fire. That generally means that you are successfully surpressing them and perhaps sending them into a state of being "PINNED" or "SHAKEN". All good things to do BEFORE a close assault.

Last tip: Don't send in the Green troops unless you have to... wink.gif

------------------

The Grumbling Grognard

[This message has been edited by Scott Clinton (edited 11-05-99).]