Storm over Europe 1939 - Will vs Ash - Axis

July 1943

Battles are raging in the Balkans. I've managed to stall the Allied advance just inside Bulgaria and as troops become freed up from the eastern front, are being sent here in their droves. An attack by a battle group out of Romania did some solid damage to the Anglo-American flank.

1943-07-16png2.png

The Caucasus are shaping up to be the next big theater though- a large Soviet force has ammassed since the winter and now threatens my northern flank. I have a large entrenched force, but it may not be big enough...

1943-07-16png1.png

In other news, Leningrad has fallen. My paratroopers are out of Norway and en route to France, where I am planning to invade Britain to put a dent in the bombing campaign and attempt to sieze London, however one of my HQ's is still trapped in Norway by an effective Allied naval blockade, along with a full armour unit. I managed to destroy 2 British carriers, but have now lost my own.

Overall the situation appears solid, but cracks are starting to show. Despite my impressive Russian holdings, I am outstripped by Allied income by some 1400 combined MPPs to my own 950 (including Italy). Even with experience and readiness on my side, if this becomes a protracted war my odds of winning are roughly nill- hence the planned invasion of Britain. I need to pull off something audacious.

July 1943

The Russian hammer fell across the Caucasus mountains, but also, and surprisingly, in Moscow. Russian armour and infantry now has parity with the Germans, meaning the only thing I have going for me is elite steps- which are nice, but not nice enough. We destroyed an army and badly damaged a number of armour units here, but ultimately our counter-attack was weak.

1943-07-30png2.png

Tanks breaking through at Moscow. I'm going to reorganise a new battle group at Kiev.

1943-07-30png1.png

Bit more luck against the British and Americans- we destroyed an armour group and badly damaged another. Still taking heavy losses due to superior US air power. The loss of a tac and a fighter in Norway to nothing but carriers isn't helping.

1943-07-30png3.png

HQ and armour still trapped in Norway, and my MPPs are a bit lower than their peak- about 820 now for Germany.

Sadly I think the war may be over for the Germans at this point. Despite making good gains in Russia, the inability to actually force a surrender, and the seemingly limitless supply of Soviet MPPs, coupled with the relative invulnerability of British bombers, coupled with the addition of the USA and an economy I cannot hope to compete with, means that winning is pretty much out of the question. Even pulling out a draw will be next to impossible, because once the line breaks, or if I get outflanked in the Caucasus, I'll have no units to defend with.

If the Russians hadn't attacked Moscow (read: if their army was 90% concentrated in the Caucasus) I might have had a chance- sadly that is no longer. I'll keep on the fight for a bit though.