Lili Marleen

Depending on taste, there are quite a few versions of Lili Marleen available. When I was working on my Sound of Music mod I had to choose between them, and finally narrowed it down to two or three (all of them period german language versions, as it turns out).

The winner, of course, was Marlene Dietrich. The sound file doesn't have the gritty background static that the other versions have, but had a few annoying extra features (like audience applause interfering with the opening chords) that I was able to edit out. After a little delicate snipping at the front and the back of the file to make it work as a CMBO intro piece (and a little editing of sound quality done with a very light touch) the final result was a piece of high calibre authentic period music that even my girlfriend liked when I played it for her.

So although you can find other versions of the Marlene Dietrich Lilli Marleen out there, they won't be as good a fit as this one.

If you are interested, you should be able to find this (and other period music) in my Sound of Music mod which is listed on the CMHQ site in the CMBO CMMOS section.

If you don't use CMMOS (or that version of CMMOS) what you should do is change the name of the file so that it doesn't have the weird CMMOS ending on it. You will have to convert the file from an MP3 to a WAV file, but because it was posted on a semi-official CMBO site it was rigorously tested to prevent the Alvin and the Chipmunks effect after conversion.

There are also notes attached to the ruleset (which you don't really need to download) that explain how to go about this. These notes should be quite good since I wrote them when I was much younger and more intelligent than I am now...