Tanks movements

ok, first post here so I humbly say hello to all the grognards out there smile.gif

Just get a few questions. As usual I apologize if it has already been discussed before, as I was (totally) converted to CM just a few weeks ago.

1/ While playing Last defense on the american side, I had a hellcat go as fast as it was able to. As it reached its destination it stopped.... instantaneously !

Wouldn't such a bulky thing get a little inertia ? Oh, I guess that's just because CM can't model that, but, hem, just wanted to be sure wink.gif

2/ Same game, same scenario. Just an anecdote... One green 'zook team, in a wooden house. Told him to fire at a Half-Track. Team missed, but the house started to burn, due to the exhaust gas of the 'zook ! Astonishing realism !

Keep up the good work BTS, you should be proud making such a game.

Magnus

PS : please do not bother with my english, everybody knows French simply can't be good at languages wink.gif

------------------

Guest Big Time Software

Hello Magnus,

Your English is just fine smile.gif

Yes, there is a more lengthy answer to the "inertia" question. As you suspect, CM does not simulate stops in great detail. The main reason why is that the AI can't handle the logic needed to plan "if I want to stop here, at my current speed I will have stop here. Is that what I want to do, or should I stop here so that I can stop there?" Sure, we can code this, but AI of this nature is HORRIBLE in terms of processing speed. It would make games with decent numbers of vehicles unplayable on all but the very highend systems for sure.

In general this isn't too much of an abstraction as most vehicles are slow even when driving Fast. And usually most vehicles are driving in Move or Hunt mode, so a sudden stop is nearly realistic. But the Hellcat is a definate exception. It is the FASTEST AFV fielded during the war (at least in terms of tank like vehicles). In fact, it is almost twice as fast as most other tanks. Therefore the shortcomings of not having deceleration are most evident with this vehicle.

Steve