Best Sound Mod

Installed full version and this update on my MacBook Pro ..

Sounds great !! Very realistic and it creates an ambiance of realism much better than the "stock" game sounds...

Thank you ...

Regards,

Doug

Edit: wayclaw... do you have a MAC version of your same sound mod for CMFI?

Installed full version and this update on my MacBook Pro ..

Sounds great !! Very realistic and it creates an ambiance of realism much better than the "stock" game sounds...

Thank you ...

Regards,

Doug

Edit: wayclaw... do you have a MAC version of your same sound mod for CMFI?

Actually, the stock game sounds (vanilla if you will) are probably the most realistic ones :)

Its just that we are so used to the hollywood sounds that we don't think the real sounds are realistic.

If you have been around real weaponsfire you will notice that it lacks alot of the bass that is in most of these mods (mine included).

Compare, for example, these two videos.

First is a video of the stock version of CM:SF

Second is a video from the US Military of a firefight in Iraq.

Those sound more similar than any of the soundmods would.

EDIT: Also, remember that you are not on ground level right next to the one firing, you are at a distance and then the vanilla sounds are pretty good IMHO.

Sorry for the rant, but I don't like the perpetuation of the myth that real combat sounds like the hollywood ones do.

Yeah some of the low end is embellished at times, part of this is because you aren't always zoomed right in close but still want to be able to get an aural que of what's happening. Sometimes it's just for the "cool" factor.

Interestingly enough I rolled off some of the low end on a few of waclaw's SFX that I used because I thought it didn't quite jell with the overall environment, too powerful sounding. Another thing I do when putting a SFX mod together is I check against the real guns, a ton of them are on youtube and you can compare to the real ones. For me on the top level as long as it's in the "ballpark" to the real one and isn't too beefy or wimpy sounding then I feel I got the SFX right for a game like CM. Of course there is a lot more sound design that goes into it than that but I'm talking overall "feel". I like it basically to be accurate with maybe a little low/mid push for the "fun" factor as well as in-game aural que recognition.

Just as a side note I do audio for a living so I love this stuff, and one of the reasons I get so into the sound side of the game. :)