Artillery frustrations!

Playing through the Troina campaign (which has been fantastic so far) and I've had some issues calling in artillery, which don't seem to make any sense.

After a lengthy shelling to start the 3rd mission, my 155mm howitzer had 24 HE shells remaining and 24 smoke shells remaining. I issued a follow up fire mission several turns later for a heavy smoke screen on the ridge of the mountain. After several turns the fire mission is complete and I have a nice smoke screen to advance behind.

My issue is that when I then go to order another shelling of the mountain fort, I am told that there are now 0 HE shells as well as 0 smoke shells. Where did the HE go? I've had this occur a few times in the past. I don't recall having this issue with CMBN, but maybe it is there as well.

Is this a known bug? Intentional simulation of poor battlefield comms?

Is this a known bug? Intentional simulation of poor battlefield comms?

It has been discussed, so it is known. Whether it is a bug or not I am not clear about. But yes, the game treats smoke and HE as interchangeably coming from a common dump. Some explanation and possible justification was offered for that, but I admit I wasn't sold on it. Perhaps at some point in the future there will be more on this.

Michael

This has been around for a long time so I'm pretty sure it's not a bug, but rather a less-than-clear UI design.

Basically, what the artillery UI tells you is that you have up to X number of shells available from this battery, of which up to Y number can be used as smoke.

Note this only applies to off-map support. On-map indirect assets have exactly the ammo loadouts you see available to them.

It's an abstraction of the available level of artillery support, not necessarily a literal representation of the shells sitting next to the guns. Specifically modeling indirect support availability would almost be a game in and of itself.