Where did the "move until contact, engage, move again" command go?

By default the tank gun will be pointed in the middle of the arc. However soldiers and tank crews also spot, aim and fire at things that they have not even told you about yet. Often when you see tank aim a few moments later a spotted unit appears in that direction. Sometimes they never fully spot it and nothing is reported and the gun goes back to the centre of the covered arc.

But the AI is not too smart and this is unrealistic too :) It was my churchill who had duel with panther. In my turn i withdrawn him few meters backward to draw panther into crossfire. So the crew knew that he is there but they were more interested with some infantry in the woods few hundreds meters away. I think if we have power to force tank's crew to open/close hatches or turn their turret we should have the "power" to preciously point that turret. It can be sometimes broken but it's game. Or maybe there is a way to teach ai to better judge such situations i don't know

<shift> key cover arc is there - it creates circular covered arc. I forget what it did in CM1.

there was second thing that is not available now. It worked just like shif key now but in insted of 360 degree angle it was making 180 degree. It was very simple and usufull when for example you where expecting enemy somewhere more to the left, and wanted to turn turret there but the terrain was mostly open so you wanted to cover as much as possible. You can do that without it but it's just like with movable way points, life is much easier with them :)

But the AI is not too smart and this is unrealistic too :) It was my churchill who had duel with panther. In my turn i withdrawn him few meters backward to draw panther into crossfire. So the crew knew that he is there but they were more interested with some infantry in the woods few hundreds meters away.

Yeah, it can be brain dead about that kind of thing. All comes from our orders being specific and not task based. The order you wanted to give was "back up a bit and see if you can get that Panther to follow you so our buddy over to the right can get better shot" but all you can actually order "is move backwards 20m and face your turret that way".

I personally think that getting more specific about things like turret direction would lead us to have more bad things happen - like in this case if the Panther did not follow and your tank totally ignored the infantry even though the would make an excellent target.

I have reduced my use of the face command because of this kind of thing. The crew spend all their effort facing the way I wanted them to all the while failing to engage a nice juicy target just off to the right. Where as if I just arrange it so the last way point move gets them more or less facing the way I want they never have any trouble picking off that target of opportunity because I have not given them any conflicting orders.

there was second thing that is not available now. It worked just like shif key now but in insted of 360 degree angle it was making 180 degree.

Ah, I did not know there was an automatic 180 arc key as well. Might be handy once in a while.