Bug report

While I was playing Last Defense today something weird happened. My Tiger is merrily driving around Hellcat Hill. I order him to drive to the road and start the turn. He doesn't move, and in the next orders phase the move marker is in a different place, which from my perspective appeared to be right by the tank, so I just grumbled and deleted it, then replotted the move. Started the turn, and next orders phase the same thing happened, so I looked a little bit closer - and from view 1 it was clear (looked at it from all directions) the waypoint was FLOATING IN MIDAIR about 50m off the ground(rough estimate). At one point I even moved the camera under it, and got a nice aqua line slanting up over my head. So let me make this perfectly clear - this was no trick of perspective, it was most definitely in midair. I saved, thinking to send it in, but when I reloaded the file, the waypoint had moved down to ground level, though it was in the same (wrong) position. I can still e-mail anybody the file, but I'm not sure it will be useful. Has anyone else ever seen this?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. About every 2nd or 3rd turn of my PBEM game, one of my units will forget its waypoints - it seems to happen more when it has a large number (4+) of waypoints, and it usually seems to just head directly for the final waypoint position.

So far this has led to a Stug bogging itself into some scattered trees rather than skirting around them as ordered, and a halftrack diving into the middle of enemy territory rather than going around it! Ah, well, it keeps things interesting :)

I've only noticed it happening with vehicles (not men) so far.

Guest L Tankersley

Hmmm ... I wonder if I've seen something like this occasionally, too. When I play Last Defense as the Germans, I typically run the dismounted platoons forward into the trees on the right. When I watch the film of turn one I see that a squad and sometimes an HQ from one of those platoons is still sitting at their setup location. I've always figured that I just missed giving them orders, but it happened a couple times to the same units and I surely _thought_ I issued orders to everyone.

Leland J. Tankersley

Beamup said:

>>>>>>> the waypoint was FLOATING IN MIDAIR <<<<<<<<

I something similar to that in Riesburg yesterday. I had the US 105mm FO move "fast" from the top floor of 1 building to the top floor of another building down the street. When I watched the replay, the FO's green base was sliding along the ground as normal but the FO himself was flying through the air above it at top floor level wink.gif.

Brings up an interesting question, however. In such cases, is the enemy's LOS figured to the flying unit's base on the ground or to the flying man above it, or both? smile.gif I wasn't able to determine this because it happened in the mopping up stages and no Germans were in position to take a shot at the flying FO.

-Bullethead

I'm pretty sure units can give themselves new orders if they need to. Tanks will replot around woods, I know. Basically when the TacAI takes over and actually moves your units, I think it erases the current orders, and plots new ones. If the unit hasn't finished those new orders by the end of the playback phase, you can see (and alter) the new orders in the orders phase. This might be what some of you are seeing...

Guest L Tankersley

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Infantry that have evaded a tank seems to lose their movement orders now and then. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm, you mean like almost getting run over by a friendly Tiger tank? That could be - maybe I'll try to replicate that tonight.

Leland J. Tankersley

Guest Big Time Software

Hehe... there are a bunch of unrealted problems here wink.gif

Beamup, the floating thing is odd. However, were there lots of infantry around where you were trying to plot to? It could be that it didn't want to drive over its own men and instead tried to plot around them.

Zot, units (all units) will replot their moves if the ones you give them turn out to be too dangerous. This generally happens because something capable of killing it is firing too close for comfort.

There was a SPECIFIC bug about FOs floating after disembarking off a vehicle. This has been fixed.

The bug with moving from a second story building of the second of another has also been fixed.

Mattias, yes, infantry who get "scooted" out of the way do forget waypoints. I am pretty sure this is on The List to fix, but it currently is working as designed (though it is not optimal).

Steve