Russian Front Analysis

ropey

Some of you may be interested in this email I received:

Hello Perry,

As you previously expressed interest in this project, I am writing to you to let you know that the first volume of Operation Barbarossa: the Complete Organisational and Statistical Analysis, and Military Simulation, has finally been published. It is now available for purchase at the following link:

Operation Barbarossa: the Complete Organisational and Statistical Analysis, and Military Simulation Volume I by Nigel Askey (Paperback) — Lulu AU

The information in Volume I is everything shown (and updated) in Part I and Part II at the website OBTCMS Header

It essentially contains the details of the methodology ‘building blocks’ that are being used in all the other Volumes (except Volume 5 (see below), which has a separate methodology for calculating ROCP, and is treated separately in this volume). Volume I especially suits those wanting a practical and scientific method of calculating a weapon system’s (e.g. tank , aircraft, artillery piece, etc) inherent combat power and effectiveness. It also includes details on how to calculate specific attributes such as armour defence values, etc, and quite a few ‘case history’ examples.

Note, Volume I does not include details on TOEs, OOBs, etc. Volume IIA (on the German forces) will be produced within the next 1-2 months. This will be about 3 times larger than Volume I (over 680 pages) and will contain all the German weapon descriptions and values (worked out using the methodology shown in Volume I) and all the detail TOEs for every German division fielded in 1941 (as well as the smaller army and corps units).

Operation Barbarossa: the Complete Organisational and Statistical Analysis, and Military Simulation will now be published in 8 separate books, with 6 volume titles, as follows:

1. Volume I - The Concepts and General Structure of the Integrated Land and Air Resource Model (Part I), and The Methodology Used for Analysing Weapon System Effectiveness, and the Structure of the 1941 Soviet and Axis Resource Database (Part II).

2. Volume IIA and IIB - The German Armed Forces (Wehrmacht), Mobilisation and War Economy from June to December 1941.

The size of the Volume II dictates it is published in two parts (for example Volume IIA will be over 680 pages, mostly tables of TOEs, etc)

3. Volume IIIA and IIIB - The Soviet Armed Forces, Mobilisation and War Economy from June to December 1941.

The size of the Volume III dictates it is published in two parts.

4. Volume IV - The Finnish, Rumanian, Hungarian, Slovakian and Italian Armed Forces Involved on the East Front in 1941.

5. Volume V - Relative Overall Combat Proficiency (ROCP): the ROCP of Soviet and Axis Forces on the East Front during WWII.

6. Volume VI – The Science of War Gaming, and Operation Barbarossa, an Operational - Strategic Level Simulation from 22nd June to 31st December 1941.

FYI. Having reviewed all the options available to publish the series, I have selected Lulu Print on Demand for several key reasons. Lulu were the only one which could POD a suitable which was also large enough to take the many large tables that will be shown in Volumes II to IV (i.e. A4 was largest page available). They were also able to produce a Volume of over 700 pages using this large page format (otherwise I would have to split the work even moreJ), and at a reasonable price. Unfortunately, none of the POD companies could produce a large POD volume with large page format in hardback: apparently their machinery is not designed for this, and even if they could it would apparently be prohibitively expensive. Also, such a book would apparently not meet the distribution requirements for distribution via Amazon and book stores?

After Volume IIA comes out, I will endeavor to update the website at http://operationbarbarossa.net/ with a completely new look. It will have more details on the new publishing structure, updated examples, and perhaps a BLOG where you can start providing feedback and discussion. This will hopefully occur later this year, after Volume IIA is produced, but probably before Volume IIB.

Anyway, thank you for your interest in this project, and please reply via Email if you would not like to be advised when the new Volumes are published.

Thanks and best regards,

Nigel Askey

Sorry ut the links haven't survived my cut and paste.

Interesting from the publishing method and also for the scope. I will keep an eye on it.

Having looked a little further into the LulU side I also struck that an e-book option surely would be a better seller AND if carefully thought about arrangements made for maps and charts to be easily printable for thos who do not use A4 readers. Or even those who do : )