Video Acceleration question.

I've downloaded the demo of SC Global Conflict Gold, and I don't see any option for video acceleration as there was with SC WaW. This option helped the performance of the game enormously for me, without it it runs painfully slowly. Can anyone tell me if video acceleration is in the full patched version of Global Conflict Gold? I had a quick skim through the patch notes and I couldn't see it, though I may have missed it.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Col Gen Guderian,

Video acceleration is now the default setting for all newer SC games including GOLD. I wonder if perhaps it is disabled on your end in the SC2.ini file?

If you navigate to your installation folder for the demo, can you open the SC2.ini file and double check to see that the following entry is there as shown below:

#VIDEO_ACCELERATION= 1

If it is set to 1 then it is on and should act the same way it did for WaW, if not can you change it to this?

Can you also tell me what Operating system you are running and if selecting full screen or windowed mode makes any difference in terms of playability on your end?

Hubert

Hi Col Gen Guderian,

Video acceleration is now the default setting for all newer SC games including GOLD. I wonder if perhaps it is disabled on your end in the SC2.ini file?

If you navigate to your installation folder for the demo, can you open the SC2.ini file and double check to see that the following entry is there as shown below:

#VIDEO_ACCELERATION= 1

If it is set to 1 then it is on and should act the same way it did for WaW, if not can you change it to this?

Can you also tell me what Operating system you are running and if selecting full screen or windowed mode makes any difference in terms of playability on your end?

Hubert

Thanks for the speedy response! :)

I checked the SC2.ini file and it was as it was meant to be, like you said.

The game does run a bit faster with a lower resolution, but unfortunately it's just too much of a compromise for me.

On reflection, it's not as bad as I first thought, but compared to WaW it's definitely not as quick. I figured it's just a product of the fact that the map is so much bigger, and that there is so much more going on than in WaW. I did notice that the map scrolls faster across areas where there aren't many units.

For what it's worth, these are my system specs for my laptop:

Windows 7 Home premium, 64 bit

Intel Core i3 M350 @2.27 GHz

4GB RAM

ATi Mobility Radeon HD 5470

Was there anything done at all in the patches to improve the speed? I'm tempted to get this game!

Yes we identified that on some systems the map text slows things down... if you disable the map text then scrolling and general movement on the map should run much quicker as you sound like a likely candidate for this.

To do this go to the OPTIONS->ADVANCED dialog and turn off the 'Map Text' option.

In our newer releases the map text can now be set to hide during map scrolling as we have more advanced options for this in place.

Hope this helps,

Hubert

Yes we identified that on some systems the map text slows things down... if you disable the map text then scrolling and general movement on the map should run much quicker as you sound like a likely candidate for this.

To do this go to the OPTIONS->ADVANCED dialog and turn off the 'Map Text' option.

In our newer releases the map text can now be set to hide during map scrolling as we have more advanced options for this in place.

Hope this helps,

Hubert

Awesome, I believe that fixed it. It now seems just as fast as what WaW was. Thanks very much, i'm glad I can enjoy the game now how it was intended :)