Bren vs. BAR

I prefer the Bren due to the larger magazine and changeable barrel. It's also a bit awkward to stay on target with the BAR while changing mags.

I don't know how this is taken into account in game though. I have a gut feel that the Bren pumps out more casualties and suppression, but the semiauto M1 Garands even this out.

The best part about the BAR is the bark it lets out with the sound mod I am using (SLIM's Day of Defeat sounds.) A really forceful sound. :D

As a squad base-of-fire weapon, I think the Bren is pretty clearly superior, chiefly due to larger mag and quick-change barrel. QCB is actually the most important, IMHO -- especially with an Asst. Gunner, a competent BAR gunner could probably swap mags fast enough to put out 60+ rnds/min, but he simply cannot sustain that volume of fire for any length of time without overheating the barrel.

Chief advantage the BAR has is light weight -- lightest of any of the Squad base-of-fire weapons you'll see in CMBN/CMFI right now, I believe. Not really light enough to be a general issue battle rifle, though, so it's kind of neither here nor there -- not light enough to fill the Garand's role, but not able to put out enough sustained fire to compete with the Bren (and certainly not the MG34/42).

As a squad base of fire support weapon the BAR is definitely bringing up the rear. Where it does shine is in fluid situations with tightly limited ranges, i.e. in urban environments or deeply wooded areas. There, its lighter weight and handier configuration make it useful for engaging pop-up targets that only require short bursts. Not as good as a machine pistol for that role most of the time, but better if the more powerful rifle round is required.

Michael