Textures

THESE ARE THE MESSAGES FROM PREVIOUS TEXTURE THREAD:

PanzerShark posted 09-05-99 05:32 AM ET (US)

Howdy folks,

Are the texures (for the tanks) just bmp/jpg-files in the root of the game-directory?

Would be nice to be able to edit those in a paint-app. Imagine: Creating own camouflage or even insigna's. Might not be realistic but it would be fun to see Kampfgruppe PanzerShark with their own logo

Take Care,

PanzerShark

Big Time Software posted 09-05-99 06:07 PM ET (US)

Yes you will be able to edit textures like this if you want. But ours look awesome so I don't know if you'll want to bother!

Charles

Brian Rock posted 09-05-99 10:57 PM ET (US)

How else will we recreate the 33rd Panzer Sluts in leopard skin with fishnet camo on the skirts, or the Prince's Armored Musicians with their trademark purple Cromwells? Not to mention the various US redneck brigades in primer, with "I don't brake for Nazis" bumper stickers...

Fionn posted 09-05-99 11:53 PM ET (US)

Well, I'd be very surprised if people don't eventually band together and create entire "virtual units" with their own camouflage patterns, logos and web locations..

I have a book which details German tactical insignia and if there's interest when CM comes out I'll write an article on German tactical markings and where and how they are to be applied so people can get ideas on what markings would be acceptable etc.

Rule number 1 of fandom: IF the designers make the game OPEN (as Steve and Charles are doing) then people WILL modify it. So long as the mods are just fun things like putting in insignias I think it will be great but I'd hate to see people trying to "fix" things which aren't broken in CM. This isn't like some other wargames which shall remain nameless in which players have had to modify quite basic things cause they weren't fixed by the people involved in production.

I don't have any artistic talent myself unfortunately but I know I'd like to do "virtual battle" in an entire Kampfgruppe decked out with my own personal tactical insignia ;)..

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

KwazyDog posted 09-06-99 12:08 AM ET (US) ----> As I think Ive mentioned elsewhere, I think it is great that the guys are leaving the textures open for people to do just that Fionn. I can also see others doing up winter camo for units too, although as Steve said earlier, this will make them damn hard to see

I really cant see anyone wanting to play with the vehicle textures in any other way though, the textures are absolutely great. I cant wait to see a Tiger cruising around

Fionn posted 09-06-99 12:39 AM ET (US)-->

I have take a picture of a King Tiger and let me tell you it looks BIG..

Whoever did the model and then added the textures did a great job.

It really gets the "I AM the King of the Battlefield" feeling across."

I also think they got zimmerit on the front etc..

I have a nice "last thing an allied tank crew sees" shot of it I'll post ;)

Fionn Kelly

KwazyDog posted 09-06-99 12:56 AM ET (US)

Id like to see it Fionn I am looking forward to your AT gun article too, should be very interesting.

I think the way Charles and Steve went about doing the textures and 3D models for CM is great. They have reasonable poly count to keep the framerate at acceptable levels, but are excellent models when completed with their textures.

Fionn, not sure who did the King Tiger, but Id bet Steve did

[This message has been edited by KwazyDog (edited 09-06-99).]

PanzerShark posted 09-06-99 03:42 AM ET (US)------------------->

The textures are absolutely gobsmacking guys...so i won't change those Just the insigna's i might change a bit. Thx for the replies.

Take Care,

PanzerShark

Big Time Software posted 09-06-99 07:38 PM ET (US)

Yesh! The King Tiger texture is a placeholder, and an "ugly" one at that. The model is pretty good, but it needs some touching up. On my list, right after some new ones.

If you want to see what the REAL KT will look like, check out the BF.C homepage. There is a small shot advertising CM and it has a pic of an older version of the texture set (lighting was horrible so I reshot the pics, but haven't made textures yet).

Other placehoders right now are M3, Horch 1a, Stuart, M4A3 (76), and Hetzer.

Steve

Fionn posted 09-07-99 05:03 AM ET (US)--->

Damn, I thought the Hetzer looked really sweet.

That's a placeholder? hehe. I'm gonna have to check that sucker out again to see why

Fionn Kelly

Moon posted 09-07-99 11:42 AM ET (US---->

Isn't it amazing? Placeholders that look better than the real thing in other games... I am not going to mention sPEcific names

Fionn posted 09-07-99 01:33 PM ET (US)

LOL..

I'll pretend I didn't get that Martin .

Fionn Kelly

Los posted 09-07-99 01:42 PM ET (US)

"Yes you will be able to edit textures like this if you want. But ours look awesome so I don't know if you'll want to bother!"

Maybe I wanna cut and paste Wittman's face onto my TCs...

Fear factor, you know...

Los

PanzerShark posted 09-07-99 04:15 PM ET (US)

Wittman's face? Don't think it will work. Ya see...people who actuallty came near Wittman in order to determine how he looked like...died in 3 seconds. Unless ofcourse ya want to paint it just to scare yer own men

Guest Big Time Software

Hehe... KT, you could have just put in the URL for that thread smile.gif Just so you know each thread has a unique URL so just find the thread, click on it, copy the URL, paste into your post, and stick some UBB codes around it to make it a link.

Still, good job answering Bil's question wink.gif

Steve