Weather effect?

Just wondering if you were going to implement different types of weather i.e. Rain and Snow falling, Fog(which reduces visibilty and causes artillery to be less acurate) ect? Also can the vehicles engine freeze with some of earlier types of vehicles which causes them to be immobilized? Because I would play CC3 alot and in alot of the games my tanks crews would say "our engine is frozen" and it would be immobolized throughout the game.

Guest Big Time Software

Lots of weather types, including all the ones you mentioned. We also have 3 depths of snow, mud, dry, night, etc.

No to frozen engines. Once an engine was running it would stay running. The problem was getting them started. The oil the Germans used in Russia was not suited to the cold temps and would basically turn to thick jelly. Gasoline also had problems. But again, once started (using fires under the gearboxes was common) the engine wouldn't suddenly freeze up. If CC3 says differently, oh well smile.gif

By the way, small arms and artillery also had serious problems with the cold. This *is* something that could happen mid game and we will keep that in mind when we take the game to Russia smile.gif But the temps in NW Europe weren't nearly cold enough to cause serious, wide spread problems.

Steve

Guest Lokesa

So we'll have infantry riding on the backs of tanks waving their bayonets (frozen but still effective at stabbing) sliding across frozen ground at each other...great smile.gif

BTW In CC3 the engines start as frozen some times but I dont think they freeze midgame.

Lokesa,

You are correct. In CC3 the tanks which have frozen engines start the game that way. The engines don't freeze during the game.

The thing that has always befuddled me about this in CC3 is that I can remember at least one occasion (I hope I'm remembering correctly here) where I as the German player and attacker started out w/ at least one and maybe 2 of my tanks where the engines wouldn't start due to freezing. They sat there idle and for the most part totally useless for the entire game. The kicker for me is that one would think that if I was attacking then whatever tanks that I would move up to attack with would have their engines running, right? Or if they were so close to the attack point already and obviously know when the attack is to take place that they would have more than enough time to get their engines running in all of their tanks prior to starting the attack! Just one more example of some of the inaccuracies in the CC series of games.

Mike D

aka Mikester

An interesting note on the oil the Germans used on the Eastern Front. The Luftwaffe was having a real problem keeping their planes in the air because of the cold (its one thing to keep a tank idleing for long periods it is another thing entirely when you are talking about an airplane!). A captured Russian mechanic was brought to the airfield and the Germans asked him how they were able to launch sorties when they couldn't. The Russian mechanic grabbed a Gerri can of Gasoline and to the horror of the German mechanics, poured it into the oil sump. He then started cranking the engine over by hand as a pilot cringed down in the cockpit of the Me-109. The German mechanics started moving back 20 meters or so in preperation for an explosion. After a minute of cranking or so the engine started turning faster then finally sparked to life and ran solidly. The Russian explained that the gasoline liquefied the congealed oil and once the engine got hot it evaporated out of the engine.

He also showed the Germans how to free up their guns so that they would work in this weather. He took a pot of boiling water and poured it over the machineguns thereby flushing all of the grease and oil off the gun. He said that at 40 below zero the guns did not need any lubricant since no heat would build up in the guns. He was right and these techniques were soon put into use by the Luftwaffe.

This is a true story from Jg-52.

------------------

Rhet