Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Rick Atkinson, The Guns at Last Light

I got my copy a few days ago. As I am presently swamped with other reading, I've only gotten a couple dozen pages into as yet. So far, it seems very much a journalist's eye view of things. Lots of details that add color and background. Not much historical "meat" as yet. Not that that invalidates the book, just thought you all should know. It may get "meatier" as it goes along...time will tell.

Michael

I got my copy a few days ago. As I am presently swamped with other reading, I've only gotten a couple dozen pages into as yet. So far, it seems very much a journalist's eye view of things. Lots of details that add color and background. Not much historical "meat" as yet. Not that that invalidates the book, just thought you all should know. It may get "meatier" as it goes along...time will tell.

Michael

I think Atkinson's goal with this trilogy was to produce an accurate, engaging, and well-told narrative history of the American war in Europe--sort of a WW2 analogue to Shelby Foote's The Civil War. It's definitely not an academic treatment or an analytical investigation.

I read the earlier volumes about the same time I was reading Russell Weigley's Eisenhower's Lieutenants. I learned more from the latter, but I enjoyed these more.

I read the earlier volumes about the same time I was reading Russell Weigley's Eisenhower's Lieutenants. I learned more from the latter, but I enjoyed these more.

I'd say that's a pretty fair evaluation. I did learn some things from the first two books that were worth knowing about and I hope to have the same experience from the new one. But I don't expect it to be loaded with tons of data or profound analysis. Worth the money just to have a pleasant reading experience.

Michael