Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

First time poster here. I just bought both versions of the Great War: Strategic Command after enjoying reading the AARs on this forum. I am doing my first game playing against the AI - Brusilov's Offensive.

I looked in the Rules Manual but if its there I cannot find it - how do you resupply the Heavy Artillery with more shells during the game?

Or is it meant that you have to use what you started with at the very beginning of the campaign?

Other than that, I'm enjoying the game a lot so far.

Hi MghFond

Welcome to the forum and artillery receives shells at the start of each turn, a minimum of 1 providing the artillery has a source of supply, possibly more depending on the level of Gas/Shell Production the country has.

In the Brusilov Offensive, the Russian artillery starts with 10 shells to represent accumulated stocks, but will only receive 2 more per turn.

Sometimes it will pay to not fire off any shells in a turn, and set the guns to silent (by right clicking on them) so that they will not provide defensive fire if your units are attacked. This way, shells can be accumulated to help provide further heavy blows.

Though artillery will always fire back if directly attacked, even if they are set to silent, provided they have some shells.

Ah, so that's it, thanks! I have gone wild and fired most of all Brusilov's supplied arty shells off already and most of the guns are down to 2 - 3. I did read about setting them on silent, but I do think defensive fire can be effective, least the AustroHungarians DF was on my poor Russkis.

On the bright side, I have made a couple of breakthrus, we will see though if I can take advantage of them.