Kudos and a couple suggestions

First of all, just let me say that Combat Mission is hands down the best combat sim I have ever seen or heard of. I've spent about 30 hours playing it this weekend alone :). I love it! But I do have a couple suggestions.

1) I've read other people's posts on this, and just wanted to weigh in myself. The targeting AI absolutely MUST be tweaked. Example situation: Rifle .45 squad, dug in in a house, is given orders to target the MG42 75m away shooting at them. LOS is checked, both with the tool and in 1st-person view with 1:1 scaling, and the MG is in plain sight. After the round starts, the squad refuses to shoot at the MG, and instead targets an infantry squad 350m away, in woods, not shooting at anybody. Now, if I'd given the 2nd order, I would have expected them to switch - but it makes NO sense to not shoot at the MG! Perhaps there's a wraparound bug? If anything would wrap around, that MG certainly would. PS: the sharpshooter in Riesberg almost never follows my targeting orders - he won't shoot at anything smaller than a squad, no MGs, mortars, etc.

2) This is more a scenario design note. In Riesberg, there's a yellow deployment zone at the front of your position, with an SMG squad, platoon commander, and Panzerschrenk team. The only cover in the zone is some trees right next to the road, but if the zone extended just 10m or so farther up, there's a beautiful clump of trees. Absolute textbook setup - the 'schrenk would have a perfect shot at the road, 80-100m, about 75 degrees off to the side. But I can't put them there, and if I move them later, they have to abandon their foxholes. Very annoying. On a related note, would it be possible to have infantry NOT dig foxholes during setup? Sometimes I want to move them outside their deployment zone immediately, and I'd rather not leave evidence they were ever there.

Now for my personal Hellcat anecdote. 5 times in a row, I play Last Defense as Germans. Each time, all of my vehicles are knocked out within a minute of the Hellcats' arrival - even when I made sure to have the frontal armor facing the hill. Then I read a post here, and tried again at about a 20 degree angle to the hill. Worked like a charm, lost one of the assault guns. Did it again, lost nobody. The little things really do count, which is what makes me so LOVE this game! I am now going to place my preorder.

And NOW people see why I said that the 3-dimensional angle of incidence (including offset) WAS important to include in a wargame which simulated armour penetrations.

THANK YOU ! wink.gif

As for the other stuff...

People keep talking about this but I haven't had a problem with retargetting for weeks and weeks. I think people are perhaps choosing very poor targets for their guns or not noticing them going out of LOS or something.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Beamup - in an attack/defend scenario as you see in the beta demo, the initial positions are always dug in. But there also are meeting engagements, where neither side gets to use foxholes and fortifications.

As for the setup zone - it's this mean $&%§ Steve's fault. He loves to make it tough. smile.gif

Guest John Maragoudakis

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>the setup zone<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course it was a trap. The tiger goes and parks itself on the road facing the house the GIs are in. Then it lays covering fire while the halftracks move in on the side.

A lesson well learned though.

[This message has been edited by John Maragoudakis (edited 11-01-99).]