Effect of Unit Experience on Firepower

After experimenting with command radius I decided to test the how unit experience impacts its firepower.

It's kind of tough because I had to get two units of identical type and manpower but differing experience firing on the same unit at the same range.

I only tested a few cases but here is what I found.

Each increase in experience gives a roughly 10% increase in the units firepower.

Jason

1. I think you're a bit wrong in the results because of the vast number of confounding factors.

e.g. Did BOTH of your units fire at enemy units of the exact same size, at the exact same distance, in the exact same terrain and in the exact same postures for the exact same time?

Were your firing units located in the exact same terrain and at the exact same distance from clear terrain (would have LOS impact)?

There's more but I think the basic point is made. Also I do happen to think that the 10% figure is wrong but I'm not going to say what I think it is wink.gif (not linear though)

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Guest Big Time Software

Honestly, I am not really sure what the numbers are, but the last time I saw them (a year ago smile.gif) they weren't linear. Also things like accuracy and such are factored in seperately, so it is a little hard to evaluate numerically like this.

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>e.g. Did BOTH of your units fire at enemy units of the exact same size, at the exact same distance, in the exact same terrain and in the exact same postures for the exact same time?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fired (targeted, actually) at same unit, same distance, same terrain, same postures.

I set up a couple hotseat games so I could get artificial conditions.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Were your firing units located in the exact same terrain and at the exact same distance from clear terrain (would have LOS impact)?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My targeting squads were jammed right next to one another.

I should have been more specific when I talked about firepower. When you target a unit you get distance X meters, exposure Y%, and firepower Z units. The only thing I was measuring was Z.

The only difference between the two reference squads was experience. Ceteris paribus and all that. I only got six different measurements because getting the conditions right takes a bit of fine tuning of the squads. Plus I had to make sure that none of the squads fired and caused casualties. I also tried to make each measurement in differnt conditions. All told I spent about an hour getting my information.

I used 'roughly 10%' because without all of the squad and experience types available and with only a limited sample it was tough to do anything more than guess. None of the differences were any lower than 8% or higher than 12%, though.

I also didn't imply that the firepower differences were linear. Quite the contrary. A 10% difference would give a geometric progression to firepower/experience level.

There are, obviously, a multitude of factors that one could possibly attempt to measure. I just picked one that the interface gave me numbers on.

Jason