Guest Big Time Software

Not likely. Well, at least not for right now. Correct me if I am wrong, but EAX is not very common. We only go with stuff that works for nearly everybody. No time to make changes for the bleeding edge crowd.

Steve

Steve,

I don't think EAX is that bleeding edge of a technology, but it is fairly new I guess. Perhaps something to include in a future patch or at least in CM2. I'm sure you could do wonders with those environmental sounds. smile.gif

Pax,

ChromaTick

Guest PatB_TGN

EAX is slated to be common. Microsoft is going to make it a standard audio format in their DirectX 8.0. Microsoft is also stating they are going to include voice communication in their 8.0 version. *Time to get out the debugging tools*

-Patrick

Guest Big Time Software

If it goes into DirectX, we will support it. Not much choice, is there? wink.gif Seriously, this is the kind of widespread acceptance we need to see before we are willing to adopt something new. If you follow the industry closely you will notice that about 2-3 "new standards" pop up every year. Very few actually live up to expectations. Since the wizbang stuff in CM is not our primary focus (uh,the game is smile.gif) we really don't want to divert resources and time into something that isn't going to be there next year.

Steve

Guest Big Time Software

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>It does support all that 3D surround sound stuff though doesn't it?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure does. Of course, 3D sound is already part of the current DirectX 6.0 (and Macintosh Soundsprocket). So it's current, and in widespread use. That makes it feasible for us to support.

Charles