Forest terrain

Guest Big Time Software

There are three types of forest in CM. Two are impassible to all vehicles. The third is passible to all vehicles. This simulates very sparse, spread out trees. Like an orchard or bunch of trees around a house. They primarily block LOS and offer a little bit of cover to infantry, but are not true "forest".

Steve

So are the two types of passable forest something like coniferous and deciduous?

Can Infantry pass through these? I would assume so since in my JROTC days we would go through about any kind of forest we came across, unpleasant sometimes.

Guest Big Time Software

Infantry can pass through anything pretty much. Might tire the hell out of 'em, but they can do it smile.gif The other two types are what we call Tall Pines and Heavy Woods. Tall Pines are there to simulate the mature forests found around the borders of France and Germany. MAJOR LOS killer. The other one is Heavy Woods, and this is just your run of the mill thickly wooded area. From a good bare vantage point you can look over these areas.

Steve

Guest Big Time Software

Correct. And there are different attributes beyond that. LOS through each type of tree cover is different. Remember that CM has a degrading LOS, so each screws with LOS differently in that way too. Cover as well.

Steve

Rick, the best part of this game is that you won't play it by the mathematics.

Sure, they are there under the hood, in agonizing detail, but given the vagaries of men, arms and terrain, it seems like you'll need to get the "feel" of how the different units behave and respond to situations.

When a totally new situation comes up, you'll have basic attack strength vs defensive strength/terrain in mind, but you'll have to wing it. Just like in real life.

I personally can't wait.

I've always felt that accurate games would be best played by being concerned about the tactics not the math. Worrying about the math, at least in my mind, is forced upon you by an inaccurate simulation. If the effects aren't real, knowing the real qualities of your Tiger vs the Sherman across the valley won't do you any good, you'll need to know the equations and the numbers that plug into them. However, if the game models these things realistically, you're better off knowing the real qualities of the Tiger and create your tactics based on those.

By the way this we'll be my last time on the forum until about the 22 or 23.