feature request

I know, I know, 'feature request' has to be the two dirtiest words known to Steve and Charles at this point in time, but one of my current e-mail opponents (Argo) had a suggestion that I thought was too good not to pass on.

We were both bemoaning the e-mail dance--that extra file swap thingy so that you never plot and then watch the movie--that security from cheating currently requires (a price that we are willing to pay for that security, though) when Argo said something like "Consarn it all, why not give us the option of turning off the hyper security dance to make the games go faster when we are playing someone we know and trust."

I couldn't think of a good reason why not and had never seen it on this board. Heck, since it's adding the option to disable a current feature, I thought it might not even be a prohibitive amount of work, especially given the significant impact it would have in streamlining common PBEM games with trusted opponents. So please, Steve and Charles, don't beat me with the ugly stick. I really thought you might want to hear this one. smile.gif

Vetch

Vetch:

I think I've posted in about three different threads already that it seems possible to do a turn in two emails and <u>still</u> maintain the security that is already in place. However, it probably won't change--if it ever will change--before CM 2, based on Fionn's response. Check out the thread "Ignorant (I hope!) PBEM Question".

Dar

Thanks, Dar...

I remember that discussion, though it was a bit technical for me. But my friend's point was that within our group of friends we really don't need any extra measures and that it would be nice to have an option to disable all the extra swapping in those situations and just send 1 file each time.

If two is enough to still have security, great, but I'd still like to see an option to turn the whole shebang off and just play.

Vetch

Vetch, another option would be to use the TCP/IP connection

option that will be included in the full version of CM.

This, I imagine, will allow the extremely fast and easy

sending of turns back and forth by the simple hitting of

a "send" button. This, no doubt, will greatly ease the

hassle of sending turns back and forth manually with

an e-mail program. Also, hopefully once the file is sent

it will be auto-uploaded by CM ready for the player to

plot his next orders or watch the movie without having

to tell CM to load the file by hand. This would make

for a nice streamlined hands-off exchanging of files.

P.S. I should add that the players should have an option

for the file to not auto-upload when it arrives from

their opponents, in case they want to just hold onto the

file for use later when the games resumes after a break.

[This message has been edited by Lee (edited 11-09-99).]

Let me explain it in an alternate format, since some people think the other thread was too technical or wordy:

<FONT SIZE="3" FACE="Verdana, Arial" COLOR="#000000">

<TABLE BORDER CELLSPACING=1 CELLPADDING=7 WIDTH=590>

<TR><TD WIDTH="33%" VALIGN="TOP"> </TD>

<TD WIDTH="33%" VALIGN="TOP">

Current CM Method</TD>

Proposed Method</TD>

</TR>

<TR><TD WIDTH="33%" VALIGN="TOP">

Setup</TD>

forum_email.gifA enters setup and emails setup to B.</P>

B enters setup.</TD>

forum_email.gifA enters setup and emails setup to B.</P>

B enters setup.</TD>

</TR>

Turn 1</TD>

B issues orders for turn 1. forum_email.gifB sends orders file to A.</P>

A enters orders and generates Turn 1 film. forum_email.gifA emails unseen film to B.</P>

forum_email.gifB views film and emails back to A.</P>

</TD>

B issues orders for turn 1. forum_email.gifB sends orders file to A.</P>

A enters orders and generates Turn 1 film. forum_email.gifA emails unseen film to B.</P>

forum_email.gifB views film, issues orders for Turn 2, and emails Turn 1 film and Turn 2 orders back to A.</TD>

</TR>

Turn 2</TD>

A views film and issues orders for Turn 2. forum_email.gifA sends orders to B.</P>

B enters orders and generates Turn 2 film. forum_email.gifEmails unseen film to A.</P>

A views film and emails film back to B.</TD>

A views Turn 1 film and issues orders for Turn 2. A generates Turn 2 film.</P>

forum_email.gifA emails unseen film to B.</P>

forum_email.gifB views film, issues orders for Turn 3, and emails Turn 2 film and Turn 3 orders back to A.</TD>

</TR>

Turn 3</TD>

B views film and issues orders for Turn 3. forum_email.gifB sends orders to A.</P>

A enters orders and generates Turn 3 film. forum_email.gifEmails unseen film to B.</P>

forum_email.gifB views film and emails film back to A.</TD>

A views Turn 2 film and issues orders for Turn 3. A generates Turn 3 film.</P>

forum_email.gifA emails unseen film to B.</P>

forum_email.gifB views film, issues orders for Turn 4, and emails Turn 3 film and Turn 4 orders back to A.</TD>

</TR>

Result</TD>

3 emails/turn after setup</TD>

2 emails/turn after setup and Turn 1</TD>

</TR>

</TABLE>

</FONT>

See? You don’t need to remove the cheating precautions, you just allow each player to view the film of the current turn and enter orders for the next turn. Once you complete the setup and generate the initial turn, it's two emails/turn. No cheating, no swapping film files without sending orders, just watching and ordering. Life is good. smile.gif

Dar

PS -- I tried unsuccessfully to change the font color and don't know why that spacing is there before the table--well, it's not like anyone's going to read this anyway!

[This message has been edited by Dar (edited 11-10-99).]