overlay maps - some stability issues

winkelried

i started to work extensively with overlay maps. currently on a 2.6x4.0 km map - they are a great tool !!!!! A real productivity gain ! thanks.

i am experiencing some stability issues too. maybe some of you can give some advice:

1. when saving from the editor i have very different save times. sometimes within a claps of an eye. sometimes the same save takes minutes. i am not sure yet, but it seems, that the long saves are more frequent when saving in elevation mode.
  2. when defining direct elevation in elevation mode the elevation of the non-direct tiles (non-black) appear/disappear a bit in a random fashion.
  3. 3D preview can take a long time to change from the menu to the loading sequence.

the size of the overlays doesn't seem to influence theses issue ... although i a m not sure yet.

I don't think these are an overlay issue, but to do with how the new elevation model works. This was introduced in CMFI to allow large elevation changes but does slow down saves and the likes.

HTH

P

maybe. not into CMFI scenario design too much. but the issue with the elevation levels appearing/disappearing is really an issue, since the water level issue is still not fixed (water has one level overall on the map - therefore i need to use marsh tiles to create realistic water flows on ondulating terrain) i need to set the elevation for each tile for a "stop gap" river or creek. putting the elevation of the surrounding terrain to follow the "natural" elevation change defined by the height lines and then to "sink" the "water" by one or two meters. so now when the elevation number disappear to guess the "natural" elevation is a bit awkward - definitively a step back.